Author Topic: James Kiernan - birth and death - from Ireland to Wales then Hampshire then?  (Read 981 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Kiernan - birth and death - from Ireland to Wales then Hampshire then?
« on: Thursday 16 December 21 08:03 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 Welsh census in Bodfari, Flintshire, there is James Kiernan from Rodstown, Ireland, age 43, a groom, with wife Elizabeth, age 31, from Crewe, and children born in Bodfari, Flint.

In 1911 they are in Bodfari, with more children, and James is from County Meath, 53, a groom, Elizabeth is 40 from Nantwich.

Elizabeth Ann Charlesworth married James Kernan in 1892 in Nantwich.

Most of the children are born as Kiernan mmn Charlesworth.

There is a possible baptism for a James Kiernan in Bohermeen in 1859.

Daughter Margaret Mary Kiernan (1902) marries in Romsey district in 1924, given away by her brother Charlesworth Kiernan, and the reception is held at her parents' home.  Neither of the parents are named so there is the remote possibility that Elizabeth Ann has died and James married again.

There is a birth for Elizabeth Ann Charlesworth in Nantwich in 1867 (or Stockport or Macclesfield in March quarter 1870)

There is a death for an Elizabeth Ann Kiernan in Romsey in 1931 age 57.  This age is completely out, but is my favourite.  Other siblings of Margaret Mary marry in Romsey in various years so there is the family connection.

Does James return to County Meath, and die there?

Any suggestions, please.   I do not have any certificates, sorry.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Kiernan - birth and death - from Ireland to Wales then Hampshire then?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 21 09:50 GMT (UK) »
UK military files WWI
Stanley Keirnan killed in action January 17 1916 Western Front
Welsh Guards
Corporal reg number 1038

Parents Elizabeth A and James Keirnan first address Tyn y fordd, Bodfari, Trefnant, N Wales,
this is crossed out then Danwood Manor, Nr. Romsay? Hants.
father/family to get 5/- a week due to age and general debility

This would be son William Stanley born 1895

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Kiernan - birth and death - from Ireland to Wales then Hampshire then?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 December 21 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Too many to narrow down the births, the marriage certificate of James and Elizabeth 1892 to get fathers names is the only option.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 December 21 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I agree that the marriage certificate for Father's name would narrow down the births.
For the purposes of my research, and this family has no connection to me, I am looking for births and deaths.
I am happy that James is born about 1858 in Ireland - that is accurate enough for what I need.  If he returns to County Meath is there an obvious death that I am missing?
I have just remembered that if Elizabeth Anne is buried in the local cemetery then that has been indexed, but I do not think it is yet on-line.  I will explore that option.
The trees on Ancestry do not look very useful but I will contact a few of them to see if they have any solid information.  Someone might have that marriage certificate.  Or one of those proposed death certificates e.g. Hull and Abergavenny.
Thank-you.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 21 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, forgot to put:

Yes, they were at Dunwood Manor (James was a groom so could have been working there), or somewhere on the surrounding district.  Named as parents' home for reception of Margaret and PC Farr.

Did not spot about age/general debility, does that make James more or less likely to travel to Ireland?  Also, does it make it more likely that James' death was sooner rather than later? 

Oh, well, will have another look at funny spellings.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 21 11:54 GMT (UK) »
If James’ family were in England, I would wonder why he would return to Ireland. I realise it is possible, he may have inherited land or a house, I suppose.

The death certificate for Elizabeth would hopefully indicate it was the right lady plus show her marital status.
The published trees I have seen are not very helpful  :-\

I am sure you have this but here is Charlesworth’s grave
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/195206566/charlesworth-kiernan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 December 21 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was just checking out Botley Road, I had forgotten it was online, just thought it was on index cards in a basement.

Trees are clutching at straws to put down any death that fits age, I think. 

I have spent some time going through wills, not with much hope, but probably missed a vital year.

I was also hoping that I could find another of the siblings' marriages that might indicate if parents were alive or dead, but not found anything in newspapers yet.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 December 21 12:28 GMT (UK) »
If you are doing it for someone else, perhaps persuade them to invest in a couple certificates  :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 December 21 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I don’t have access but there is a James Kiernan shown in electoral registers in Hampshire in 1926 - 31.
Then John James in 1931 too.
Elizabeth A, birth 1874, is in the registers in 1931 and just Elizabeth in those other years.