Author Topic: Inquest after suicide  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inquest after suicide
« on: Thursday 16 December 21 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Have come across a suicide taking place in Elswick, Newcastle in 1927. Death was registered in Elswick and death certificate mentions inquest taking place the day after the death. Anyhow, my question is about the inquest. Will the inquest records from that time still be retained, if so where would they be held (Woodhorn, TWA) and can they be obtained?
Thanks in advance.

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest after suicide
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 21 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hey Matherino,

Do you have the name of the person? There may be newspaper records.

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 December 21 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kenny.

His name was Edward Bainbridge but I have checked the Newspapers without a thing showing. I know how he died from his death certificate but was curious as to just what more the coroner's inquest might reveal hence my query about obtaining such.

Thanks.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 December 21 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the Newspapers without a thing showing.

Try searching with just the man's address and/or coroner's name. If newspaper OCR text has garbled the man's name, it might be the reason you can't locate a newspaper mention (if it exists).

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
What was the exact date of death, please?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 21 17:49 GMT (UK) »
It is a shame you have not supplied exact date of death.  I have just finished work and I am in Newcastle now.  If you can come back online within next 10 minutes I will be able to look at a newspaper which may not be showing online.
My work hours do not always fit in with the library opening hours (library opening hours are reduced now) so if you do not come back online in time hopefully someone else might check for you.. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I have remained in Newcastle as long as I could but now I must get going unfortunately  :-\
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 December 21 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for not posting earlier but was working so missed your replies. Thank you all. I've played round with the newspaper search using the address and coroner's name but still found nothing. His actual date of death was 10th May 1927, died at 74 James Street in Elswick. The coroner's name was Alfred Appleby (pops up in a lot of searches for the time frame "Sir Alfred Appleby, City Coroner" but just not in connection to my person) and the inquest was on 11th May as per the death certificate. Am still wondering about where the inquest records might be held and if in existence, are they available?

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 December 21 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Am still wondering about where the inquest records might be held and if in existence, are they available?

See this document for guidance: https://northumberlandarchives.com/docs/CORONERS%20RECORDS%20reviewed%20Nov%202017.pdf

"Inquest Reports 1870-1948 --
For the early period between 1870 and 1935 only a sample of the reports for each
year has survived. The reports are listed and indexed up to 1946. Should the report
in which you are interested not have survived, it is advisable to check back issues of
local newspapers for the period, as inquests were often reported in detail".