Author Topic: New Look for Ancestry - Thoughts?  (Read 2878 times)

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Look for Ancestry - Thoughts?
« on: Thursday 16 December 21 17:30 GMT (UK) »
When I logged into Ancestry.ca today I was faced with a very new look. 

Different colours and fonts; new ways of portraying the male/female/photo on a person's record.

Not sure I am keen on all the changes, but like everything else I will get used to it!

What do RootsChat members (those who use it, of course) think of Ancestry's redesign?  I checked the main Ancestry.com site, and it's the same, so I assume .co.uk has followed suit?

Tks
Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Look for Ancestry - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Can’t see anything different on my iPad at .co.uk  :-\
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Mine is def in a different font and seems clearer in that respect. Haven't noticed much else that's changed,  but I don't publish a tree on there.
North East of England

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Can’t see anything different on my iPad at .co.uk  :-\

I'm on a PC, but just logged in on the iPad and got the 'new look' prompt there as well.  I don't have an account on co.uk, so maybe it's still rolling across the pond... LOL

Cheers
Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:21 GMT (UK) »
It is the trees that have changed most, I will have to visit specsavers if I am to sit and look at it for long. I am glad I don't have a working tree on there
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:26 GMT (UK) »
This is a clip of one person in my tree…..
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that’s come in very large!!! Shall i delete it?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:28 GMT (UK) »
It seems just cosmetic to me. I first thought that I'd clicked on The Times Online by mistake. No  changes to my trees that would cause problems. Colour scheme and layout much cleaner.

In all, I prefer the new look  :)

Add - just seen your clip, Deidre. Mine is sophisticated shades of greys on white.

From tree~
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 December 21 19:04 GMT (UK) »
It seems just cosmetic to me. I first thought that I'd clicked on The Times Online by mistake. No changes to my trees that would cause problems. Colour scheme and layout much cleaner.

Yes, Gadget, appears to be completely cosmetic.  At first I wasn't sure about only having two options (light, dark) for my background, but the profiles are definitely clearer.  A little harder to see the little 'leaves' indicating hints, but the dark background is better than the light for me.

Now if they would just fix the messaging and the search features, I'd be very happy.  The search feature consistently defaults to 'All Collections' every time you go to it.  Ah well.  We'll see. :)

Deidre - that's def the 'old look' on your iPad.

Cheers,
Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801