Author Topic: DNA tests now come under Royal Mail a prohibition  (Read 6294 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA tests now come under Royal Mail a prohibition
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 December 21 10:03 GMT (UK) »
See my Reply #2, Deirdre.

Thanks Gadget, I didn’t even think about any issues as it was postage paid so no need to go into the post office. Have a good Christmas 🎄
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 December 21 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I was considering taking advantage of the recent offer on Ancestry to buy a couple of kits.

I don’t know if this is directly related to covid, but there is a problem posting the sample from Australia to Dublin. Apparently if you take the package to the post office, you need to pay postage even though it is supposedly included in the purchase price/prepaid.

In addition there are supposedly no flights from Australia to Dublin. This is an odd one because as far as I am aware flights always go through big centres like London, then on to Dublin.  :-\

Some people are saying to simply post it into a street post box. Presumably it would sit in limbo in some sorting facility until flights resume.

On a forum topic my OH was reading one person PMed him to say Ancestry had threatened to exclude her if she continued posting about the subject.
I am attaching screen shots of what I posted to them over a month ago on Facebook , which they never reponded to as they are passing the buck with  their Ireland pre paid bags. ( which Aus post does not send to Ireland)
Personally I'd hold off buying that kit. Lots of people here in Aus are having trouble with them.
I'll post the other two screen shots below - with the distribution centre they have  used here in Aus and where mine went.
Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 December 21 12:18 GMT (UK) »
second part. (For ruskie)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 December 21 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I can't attach the whole post,as it is too large, but the address I have had on my mailers in my kits is ( and I still have one unused one):
Ancestry startrack 3pl warehouse 32
Minchinbury NSW ( which I sent mine to back in January this year)
A third party distribution centre which sends them overseas that Ancestry AU used for all their dna tests- up until now. The problem is with ancestry using Aus post ,  Ancestry cutting costs. Their "new" pre mail bags have already been paid for of course with Aus post, and Aus post no longer ships to Ireland due to flights/covid- Where they used to not use Aus post, but private companies.

Ancestry should be sending out to all customers  not a postage bag to Ireland, but  to a *distribution company that will get them there. They used to this until very recently (* Mine was sent off by this way back in Jan ).

They are Cost cutting.
If I was you, I'd hold off buying one until Aus post sends parcels again to Ireland - or Ancestry takes responsibility and uses the method that they used to use less than a year a ago.

Kind regards

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 December 21 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry no doubt have various "collection" centres worldwide, which receive completed test kits for their local region and forward in bulk to the processing lab at Ancestry's expense included in the cost of purchasing the kit). Ancestry do say in their help and support pages that return postage is only valid for the region in which the test was originally sold. Presumably if you live in Australia, have an Ancestry.com.au account and purchase a kit from Ancestry, it should come with prepaid postage to the local centre.

The problem I suppose might arise that a kit purchased from a third party such as Amazon, might be sold into a market it wasn't originally intended for. In that case Ancestry are quite clear that the test must be returned at the user's expense, as they also state is the case if the user wished to use a different form of packaging to that supplied, or use a different postal method such as tracked or signed for. The same would apply to a kit purchased for instance in the UK, and sent to a relative in Australia for example.

With regard to sending a kit from Australia to Dublin, with no air routes available, I suspect the postal service would choose to send an item that they collected from a public mailbox by the least expensive method. I do have some experience of similar with one of the parcels that I previously mentioned sending regularly to our daughter in South Korea. We always post them tracked. Last Christmas, a parcel that I posted to her was sent by Royal Mail by airmail to South Africa instead of South Korea, because the clerk in the post office had keyed in the wrong country when the parcel was accepted. From RM and international tracking, we could see that on arrival at Jo'burg distribution centre, it was readdressed in their system and sent by surface mail (shipping) to Korea, via Spain!!! My daughter received it nearly 4 months after we had originally posted it.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 December 21 13:13 GMT (UK) »
"it should come with prepaid postage to the local centre."

No not any more. This is where the problem lies, they are not sending them to a local collection centre  here anymore.

Ancestry Au are  sending out kits with an Ireland address on their prepaid bags. - knowing full well Aus post doesn't send parcels , which these packages are classed as( letter post Aus post do send and will.get there) there at the moment  , and they Aus post won't send via London and so on to get there, while a private company would, ie they'd send them via London and so on.

When I sent mine off and had no problem at all getting to them i( Jan this year)it had an Aus distribution/ collection centre address on it in NSW. (which I purchased off ancestry AU)
Up until very  recently all Prepaid bags in those kits here had an Aus address on them.
The .collection distribution centres then send it overseas by any means. Ancestry Au have swapped from using a distribution/ collection centre in Aus on their bags to putting the Irish address on it , and going direct.

Kind regards

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 December 21 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused now as the original question was about UK Royal Mail's rules for sending My Heritage DNA samples to USA. ???
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 December 21 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I was not sure what the postage to USA would be so took it into the post office (the same post office I had previously sent a total of 12 DNA samples (swabs) from). The postmaster checked his guidence booklet and showed me a section that prohibited the international posting of such samples. I think he mentioned it was part of the new covid regulations.
My Heritage had not heard anything about it but advised me to leave it for a while and try when the "covid scare" had died down.
I think I will try another post office tomorrow to see if they accept it.
Cheers
Guy

PS the results last one I sent came online about a week & a half ago (sent end of October beginning of November) so this rule must be a new rule.
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 December 21 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information Cell. Due to the uncertainty we have decided not to purchase.