Author Topic: Helen McDonald Aberdeenshire restore request  (Read 897 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Helen McDonald Aberdeenshire restore request
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 December 21 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I've just put it through the enhance/repair app and tidied it  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ~buttons~

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 December 21 12:01 GMT (UK) »
 Great result with that enhancement app Gadget

Which one did you use this time?

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 December 21 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely brilliant additions folks

Well done
, I’m
Really impressed with the high level level of work

Merry Christmas to you all

Ryan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 December 21 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Great result with that enhancement app Gadget

Which one did you use this time?

Thanks. I was quite please with it as I did it on a very small laptop  and without my faithful Wacom
tablet.

I didn't use just an AI App as I find the results too crude but used in conjunction  with my main PS CC suite, plus Nik/DxO. The external App that I sometimes use (when all else fails) is My Heritage's Repair and Enhance routines. I think they have an agreement with one of the software developers. The free colourizer Apps are not very good so avoid. Note - I use the full PS CC package. I tried
PS Elements but didn't like it. It's really what you're used to and feel comfortable with.

I think this was what I did with this image:

1. Inspect for condition  and make a first layer from background layer. Enlarge image - 1200 pix wide is a good size for the images on here.  However, always enlarge to 3x or more for working on.

2. Using PS tools, repair the obvious errors - selecting and creating new layers/masks where necessary - e.g. that white blob in the bottom was repaired by selecting from other parts of the dress.  The magic wand selection tool is much improved.

3. First contrast/exposure corrections - using PS Camera Raw tools.

4. Make a copy of the resulting image and put that into the MH App.

5. Download and adjust to original size and import into the PS working file as a new layer - adjusting its opacity to reduce any over sharpness created by the MH App and merge with previous layer.

6.  Make various adjustments with PS tools - e.g. I select the eye areas to bring up the contrast . I also use the drawing tools  for eyes and various features to enhamce.

7.  Finally, make presentational adjustments (contrast, frames, vignettes, tones, etc).

This is a small version of the one that I used  for the above image.

Happy Christmas :)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 December 21 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Ryan, Merry Christmas to you, too, and yours; and thank you for all the wonderful photos you've sent for restorers to work on over the past year. :D
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 December 21 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John , same to you and yours , I will keep you all going with photos  :) :)

Ryan