Author Topic: Trying to find details of a WW2 German soldier  (Read 2261 times)

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find details of a WW2 German soldier
« on: Friday 17 December 21 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Is there a website or official German gov site where I can find details of a German soldier, Werner Porzig.
I only have his name, DOB17.6.1919 in Hamburg, first names of parents and that in 1940 he joined the navy (an ack ack gunner on a mine sweeper) and later transferred to the diving section blowing up wrecks in Calais and  Boulogne. This information he gave to the SOE of which he became a recruit after his capture.
 in the German military he was arrested on at least 2 occasions once being denounced as a communist by a fellow soldier shortly after he joined up and landing in a punishment battalion, making anti Nazi comments  and finally imprisoned for listening to the BBC. As a result he was imprisoned but escaped and surrendered to the Canadians on 18.9.1944 in Boulogne. He was taken on by the SOE but their records stop abruptly at the war's end. I would like to double check his parent/birth/service details against any official army records if they still exist.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find details of a WW2 German soldier
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 December 21 10:19 GMT (UK) »
See https://www.familysearch.org/en/blog/finding-german-world-war-ii-service-records

From what you say, he would have been in the Kriegsmarine, not the Wehrmacht. A sailor rather than a soldier. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 December 21 14:53 GMT (UK) »
You will need to apply to the Govt archive, via the process linked by ShaunJ.
I assisted a friend some years ago and they received detailed copies of the German military service record.

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 December 21 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shaun and pb. I will follow this up.
Anton

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 July 22 05:49 BST (UK) »
I have followed up on the suggestion of Shaun J and pd_devon and have obtained the naval service record  from the Bundesarchiv. I much appreciate your help.
I was wondering if anyone could decipher or 'translate' the military jargon on the record. Part of the script seems to refer to the geographical postings but I do not follow the shorthand before the geographical names.
The reference to Hako Boulonge is to where he was based and as per a German military history website "The Port Commanders (Hako) were in charge of the ships based inside the perimeter of the ports. They also oversaw the resupply of these ships in terms of provisions, munitions, and fuel, as well as the functioning of port facilities (cranes, etc). Each Port Commander was also responsible for the security and defense of his area of control, for which he had a Company of Marines (Hafenwachkompanie) attached to him".
There are 2 ink stamped comments 'Durchangstomp' on the record. Spelling is difficult to read and which Google Translate cant translate, so the spelling as  I have thought it to be must be wrong.
There is another document seemingly with personal information but the doc is headed 'Admiral der Nordfeeftation'. Again I can find no information about this on google and was wondering if anyone knew what this heading meant.
His unit number was 10.S.St.A and his 'New master roll number M.St.A.02948s.
Again I would appreciate any comments from the experts on this website.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 July 22 08:47 BST (UK) »
Admiral der Nordfeeftation

Nordseestation
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 July 22 08:57 BST (UK) »
Well done for getting the military record!
You might want to post a link to this thread in the WW2 section in Armed Forces where there might be more expertise in military matters.

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 July 22 10:24 BST (UK) »
Of course formal German script 'S' not 'f'. Stupid of me!
I will link to the other site as suggested. 
Anton

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 07:40 BST (UK) »
Pleased to see you’ve had some success with your post in the WW2 thread.
Mentioning it here to give a cross ref.