Author Topic: Looking for parents for George Oldfield b 1869 Withington Lancashire .  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for parents for George Oldfield b 1869 Withington Lancashire .
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 December 21 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I should have said that the workhouse birth lists George Malone as illegitimate

Kay

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 December 21 09:40 GMT (UK) »
1851 Charlotte is a Nurse child (Anc has her a Matone)

MALONE, CHARLOTTE       - 
GRO Reference: 1850  S Quarter in ALTRINCHAM UNION  Volume 19  Page 13
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 December 21 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Well found Trish    At the moment I can't see the 1871 John/Ann Oldfield couple in any other census.  John was listed as a Hawker so may have been missed in other years   Will continue to fiddle Raining outside

Kay

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 December 21 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi , So I have done some searching the names people here have mentioned . ( George Oldfield vs.George Malone ) which was entirely new to me , and  has me pulling my hair out ….but I can confirm that  our GEORGE OLDFIELD who married Emma ( confirmed )  was living in the Chorlton  Workhouse aged 11 in 1881 census . His sponsor was also named George Oldfield ( we haven’t placed that particular George yet .)
In the 1939 registers  in Spenbourough I have confirmed our George because of his and  wife Emma’s ages and adult children names that his birthday is you guessed it … 10th July 1869 . .. which is the same date as George Malone .Is this coincidence ? Are they the same child ?
. It could explain how no one over the years has find OUR George in the 1871 census . 
I can see a tree with a Charlotte Oldfield with possible timeline being the daughter of John Oldfield and a Isabella Hutchinson . I will pursue that line … I also am going to go through BMD and see if a John and Ann Oldfield of appropriate ages died between the 1871 and 1881 census therefore explaining why they are not able to be found . Thank you for putting me on this never ending whirling road . :D I will keep you informed . Thanks Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 December 21 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Fred :)

I am continuing to fiddle (I love a puzzle) and trying not to get to hung up on the exact ages of John and Ann Oldfield in 1871 

I did find one couple in 1861 which I keep coming back to listed below in Hulme, Manchester, alhough if correct Ann is listed as Sarah and her age is out her birthplace is still listed as Lymm in Cheshire  and John's age/birth place is the same as 1871

John Oldfield    45 Porter Manchester, Lancashire
Sarah Oldfield    53  Lymm, Cheshire

I am coming round to the idea that Charlotte Malone might be the daughter of Ann prior to her marriage to John Oldfield.  Ann/Sarah comes from Lymm as does Charlotte Malone and Charlotte is never with her parents in the census.  Trish found her as a nurse child in 1851 and I think in 1861 she is living as a niece with her aunt Mary Leah nee Malone and family and possible sibling George in Lymm Cheshire

Samuel Leah    63
Mary Leah    52 b Lymm Cheshire
Charlotte Leah    21
Ellen Leah    15
Charles Leah    12
Charlotte Malone 10 niece b Altrincham
George Malone    12 nephew b Altrincham
Henry Malone    9 nephew
Henry C Leah    2 grandson

Looking back at Ann/Sarah Oldfield I did find this possible baptism
Name:    Ann Malone
Baptism    11 Nov 1827 Lymm, Cheshire
Father:    John Malone  - Blacksmith
Mother:    Hannah

Now it gets to the fun bit Ann Malone had an older sister Sarah and I think she married in 1845 John Oldfield as below ( on Anc and on Lancashire Parish Clerk) with Ann Malone a witness which would explain the 1861 census with wife Sarah

Marriage: 13 Nov 1845 St Mary the Virgin, Eccles, Lancashire, England
John Oldfield - (X), of full age, Labourer, Widower, Pendleton
Sarah Malone - of full age, Spinster, Pendleton
Groom's Father: Matthew Oldfield, Stone Mason
Bride's Father: John Malone, Blacksmith
Witness: Edward Roberts; Ann Malone

Then in 1862 Ann Malone married  John Oldfield

Ann Malone age 36 Spinster father John Malone Blacksmith
John Oldfield Age 45 Widower Matthew Oldfield Stone Mason
Marriage Date:    5 Oct 1862
Marriage Place: Oldham, St Peter, Manchester

Sorry this is rather long - As John was a widower when he married Sarah maybe he had children from a previous marriage

Kay

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 December 21 05:20 GMT (UK) »
IHi , I will need to put pen to paper . I did think John Oldfield would have to be married twice as he wasnt  with Ann long to be a grandfather . In the 1871 census Ann/ Sarah is younger than John .
. Does that make sense
. So if George Mason is Charlottes and Charlotte not the biological daughter of John Oldfield would that mean I wouldn’t find DNA match to either name . . .? .  thanks I am going to PM you . Thanks Fred.
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 December 21 06:36 GMT (UK) »

From the OLDFIELD-CROSSLAND marriage certificate that you have, can you list all the information on it. It should record occupations, addresses, witnesses names...everything please.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 December 21 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Ok , I will start Wesleyan Chapel , Heckmondwyke . Reg district Dewsbury .district of O??County of York .
 George Oldfield age 2? .bachelor.,coal miner , Fryston Pontefract.father . John Oldfield deceased . JOINER .

NOW Emma Crossland . 28 years Spinster , High Tower Liversedge. Father Thomas Crossland .Miner Dec. . Witness Emma’s brothers … David and Eli (Ely )
marriage date . 12th May . 1894.
We are sure his birthday is 10 th July 1869. ( same as George Malone ) Thanks Fred , 

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 December 21 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Kay 99 . I think re reading it and it would make sense John Oldfield married Sarah first … then he married her sister Ann . Is that how you see it . ?
I then think we will find John and Ann died between census 1871 -1881.

There are a couple of possibilities of  both these deaths in that decade in  on BMD .Unfortunately I don't know the districts or places they lived to make sense of it so it will be a long nite .
I think we will find the two George’s are one and the same .
 If John and Ann died it might explain why after living with his grandparents in 1871 he was returned to the Chorlton workhouse by 1881.

George Oldfield family were always told he was a “ foundling “ and tracked him to Chorlton Workhouse . His sponsor  was a George Oldfield . ( unknown as yet )
We were reassured he could not be his own sponsor but as it is possible he was born there maybe he didn't need to do exact procedures .   Have I made any sense . ?
I feel we are getting closer … and may I admit this is a 20 year mystery which RC res may have solved in a 24 hour period . Thanks everyone . Fred .