Author Topic: Photograph comparison, same person? 38 years between photos.  (Read 1744 times)

Offline stormi

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photograph comparison, same person? 38 years between photos.
« on: Saturday 18 December 21 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi friends,

Not quite a restoration or a dating thread, but just would like some objective opinions. I recently received an old photo of my ancestors family photo (as per rules all people are not alive anymore, location is in Coventry UK)

The bottom photo should be him in 1900, I am looking for objective opinions on whether the man here is the same man in both photos, 2nd great grandad Edward Timms. The photo may have been taken around 1900 I think, he was born in 1877 which might make him 23.

I have another photo of him in 1938 at his daughters wedding, looking surprisingly good for his age of 61, but perhaps old photography made wrinkles go away? haha. He is obviously a lot older, and well; chubbier. It also looks like he may have played a lot of Rugby in his time with his ears looking like that.

He has the longer face, big chin, sunken eyes. Anyhow, I would appreciate some unbiased objective opinions.

(Funnily enough his daughter looks a lot like him in his younger photo! When I look at that I can really see the similarities)

edit: I should add, his eyes are lighter in the 1938 wedding photo because the wedding will be flash indoor photography.

Thank you all,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photograph comparison, same person? 38 years between photos.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 December 21 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm not sure. There are some features that are different. To me, the deep set eyes of the younger man are different from the more open features of the older man.

I've put up a comparison image for others to more easily compare them.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stormi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 December 21 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Yes I did think that at first (I realise I have a bias) But then I reminded myself one is taken outside in a much older camera, where as the other is from inside with flash & much newer type camera.

So by imagining his eyes without the dark outlines... I think makes sense, maybe. Know what I mean?

ps - in the full photo (the older 1900 one) it contains his entire family, of which I can name with 90% accuracy. He has two other brothers in the photo that look much less alike. I didn't post the entire thing, but could if you thought it helpful.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 December 21 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I have my doubts, hair partings usually stay the same throughout and these photos show that the men to part their hair differently. The ears are a different shape too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 December 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
As well as difference in ears and partings, younger man looks to have a larger mouth, though that might be an illusion. Eye shape and noses look similar. Chin possibly a similar shape too.

I think they may be related. Brothers, or cousins perhaps?

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 December 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I am with Carol and Gadget.   Doubtful.

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 December 21 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I’m doubtful too, I agree with Gadget and TT’s comments and would like to add the younger man appears to have a longer chin and his brows are lower than the older gentleman, usually brows drop a bit with age not go up. I felt they are probably related because the nose is similar but no the same man, sorry.

Perhaps he is a cousin?

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline stormi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 December 21 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I might add the full-size photo with all three brothers then....

My Edward (from the later wedding photo) is supposed to be one of the three lads, he's the youngest born 1877. There is an Albert 1874 and William 1872.

I can name everyone in the photo apart from discerning the order/identity of the three lads.
(If you cannot see the whole photo, just right click it > open in new tab)

Old Edward does seem to have the same brows as the first lad, and the first lad does look the youngest.. but his face looks too short, I don't know...

Offline stormi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 December 21 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Here is another comparison image with the other lad (who does look youngest)

Darn it's hard comparing 17 year old to 61 year old... :)

PS - anyone who's commenting on ears, the older man has cauliflower ears that you get from playing years of Rugby. That's not his natural ears.