Author Topic: Between the wars  (Read 335 times)

Offline Lizzy2272

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Between the wars
« on: Saturday 18 December 21 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place, please move if necessary!

My Grandad was in the Army between WW1 and WW2 with the North Staffordshire Regiment. We believe he served in India (& possibly Ireland). I applied for his service record via the MOD and have recently received a letter from them informing me, that "as a part of the Defence Records Management Project, a percentage of archived Army service files have been transferred to the National Archives to allow them to start work on these records being digitised and  made available to the public". My Grandad's records have been transferred as part of this project.

I am keen to access his records, but how will I know when they have been digitised? As I live in York, is my only option to pay a fee for the National Archives to search for them (rather than have a wasted journey to Kew)? Which record set would they be under?

Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Between the wars
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 December 21 23:29 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives probably won't do a search for you while the records are being digitised. (In any case their research fee is now something prohibitive like £116.00 per hour.)

As a first step, I suggest you make a Records and Research Enquiry using this form, to ask for advice ...
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/contact-us/make-a-records-and-research-enquiry/make-a-records-and-research-enquiry-form/

You might want to ask for your question to be passed to the team directly involved with this specific digitisation project.

Welcome to RootsChat!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Between the wars
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 December 21 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Here's TNA's news blog from last August ...
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/mod-records-project/

(Note that the records will be closed for 115 years after the subject's birth.)