Author Topic: Seeking Info:Richard Shortread Scott -clockmaker 1780's Duns-Married Agnes Bruce  (Read 550 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello. I have a Great Grandmother X4 from Berwickshire named Elisabeth Shortread Scott. She was born 8 Aug 1776 at Duns and married Thomas Middlemiss. Her parents are Richard Shortread Scott and Agnes Bruce. I have attached her birth/bap doc from:

SCOTT

ELESEBETH SHORT

RICHARD SCOTT/AGNISS BRUCE FR842 (FR842)
F
08/08/1776
735/
40 15
Duns

On the doc itself it says Elisabeth Shortread daughter of Richard Scott Shortread ...but gets archived as surname Scott. I have never been able to find a wedding for Richard and Agnes Bruce. The couple had other children... all listed on SP under the surname Shortread (instead of Scott like Elisabeth) with father listed as Richard Scott -watchmaker/clockmaker.

Later I found this amazing reference to Richard and a piece of his clock-making work:
(third row from bottom of page)
http://www.dunsehistorysociety.co.uk/clockmakers2.shtml

They refer to him as Richard Scott:

SCOTT RICHARD; clockmaker Duns 1787 (recorded in Barony records as standing cautioner for one William Symington weaver Dunse).

This clock by Scott of Dunse was spotted on a Danish Auction Site being sold by their German Branch in Flensburg.

I've tracked my grandmother Elisabeth, her marriage etc but I have been at a loss to find info on her parents. Even though Richard is not a very common name in Scotland 1780's I cannot find a birth, death or marriage for Richard Shortread Scott (in any surname combo). I also have not found with certainty Agnes Bruce's birth or death.

A couple of their kids went to England and I'm not sure if there is a clue there. It is possible Richard could be from England though I suspect he is from Scotland side of the Borders. I did find an Agnes Shortread in 1841 age 97 living with an Andrew Middlemiss and family in Roxburgh.

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a15603cf4040b9d6e7597fc/agnes-shortreed-1841-roxburghshire-yetholm-1744-?locale=en

Now if that is not her then it is quite a coincidence ...since Agne's daughter married a Thomas Middlemiss who had a son Andrew with that name Andrew passed down. Also she would be born approximately the same time as the Agnes Shortread 1744. It doesn't say whether she was a widow.

There are a couple Richard Scott's born near Hawick but I cannot make the connection with any surety.

Anyhow I need some help if anyone has time or if a relative of these mentioned people has info to share , I'd be greatly appreciated.

- death cert for Betty Shortread Middlemiss who died 13th December 1845 aged 72
https://www.coldstreamhistorysociety.co.uk/projects/transcriptions/swinton-kirkyard/swinton-section-a-20-middlemiss-scott/

She is Elizabeth Scott on the gravestone:
Transcription
Erected by THOMAS MIDDLEMISS joiner Swinton in memory of his wife ELIZABETH SCOTT who died 13th December 1845 aged 72 years. Also the above THOMAS MIDDLEMISS who died 2nd May 1857 aged 86 years. Also of their son ROBERT who died 11th May 1870 aged 70 years.

The ages are off , especially for Thomas and that confused me at first but cross-referenced with census etc I know 100% that grave is my Grandfather Robert and his parents.

I'm seeking any info on the following:

- birth , death or marriage docs for Richard Scott (Shortread), or anything about him
- same info as above for Agnes Bruce
- parents of above

- info about the Shortread/Shortreed name
- Is he Richard Scott , Richard Shortread ... or both?

Thanks in advance for any clues, tips , info ... appreciated

attached: Birth of Elisabeth Shortread Scott and her brother Abraham Scott Shortread

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Info:Richard Shortread Scott -clockmaker 1780's Duns-Married Agnes Bruce
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 December 21 01:26 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with your particular query re Richard and Agnes, however interestingly there is a SHORTREAD and SCOTT connection back in the 1300s. I wonder if the name dates back that far?  :-\
https://archive.org/details/pedigreeofscotto1827scot/page/4/mode/2up?ref=ol&view=theater

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Info:Richard Shortread Scott -clockmaker 1780's Duns-Married Agnes Bruce
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 December 21 02:15 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting , thanks. The name seems associated with Selkirkshire & Roxburghshire ...and to a lesser degree Berwickshire. Shortread as a middlename like Elisabeth had almost seems self deprecating ... "I'm a short read"  8)
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 December 21 03:16 GMT (UK) »
In case there are clues in it, here are the kids names of Richard Scott and Agnes Bruce:

James Scott Shortread
Elisabeth Shortread Scott
Alexander Shortread
Isabella Scott Shortread
Abraham Scott Shortread