Author Topic: 2nd Cousin I cant really fit anywhere  (Read 810 times)

Offline CallumGraham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2nd Cousin I cant really fit anywhere
« on: Monday 20 December 21 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I have a 2-3rd Cousin Match that share 154 Cm and me wondering how we are connected he made a basic tree up to his grandparents and i made a private tree going up about 3 generations. We both share a DNA Match who to me is a 4-6th Cousin who I share 55 Cm with.

This 55 Cm connection had a family tree who I was able to connect with my 154 Cm match and discovered them two are both 1st Cousins 2x Removed. And share an ancestor born in 1882 Called Stephen Hodges in Northampton

I built their tree with the shared ancestors up to a 4th Generation and see no ancestors that we commonly share at all despite having such a close 2-3rd cousin connection and knowing what line fellow matches are on.

This is pretty strange to me. Any advice on how to discover how we are connected?

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Cousin I cant really fit anywhere
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 December 21 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)

Is this right?
   A. Self
   B. 154cM match
   C. 55cM match

B & C are shared matches to A (and to each other)

B & C are 1st cousins x 2R, and share  an ancestor, Stephen Hodges, b 1882* Northampton

If above is so: With the 3 of you, are there any other Shared matches between you?  Has the research you have done shown  Stephen Hodges is the MRCA between B & C? Do you know if the B & C matches are on your Maternal or Paternal line?

Remember, the Cousin-ship estimated from  the cM is estimated - I have a 2nd cousin, whose cM to me is 1cM more than that of her father, who is my closer relative at 1st cousinx1R. (We all know each other very well)

Build Stephen Hodges tree  that is:  his parents,  siblings; his wife, her parents and siblings;  their children.

* I see, on GRO there is no Stephen Hodges birth for 1882, anywhere.  But there is:
Stephen HODGES, registered Mar Qtr 1881 in Northhampton, mms : RICHARDS.

If this Stephen Hodges is the same one as the shared ancestor between B & C (which I'd say it is) - then it would appear he was born 5 Jan 1881 (not 1882), son of Stephen Hodges & Jane Richards…..  At a quick glance, there may be a bit of un-ravelling to do with that family…..on the Hodges side at least?

If we can help you gather the data to try narrow the possibilities then posting the names/ surnames/dates of your known family would be helpful.

An interesting search  :D

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Cousin I cant really fit anywhere
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 08:23 GMT (UK) »
The alternative is that the parentage is not as shown in their tree and that the connection to you is via a half relationship.

My second and third closest matches are an uncle and niece at 339 and 167 cM. His short tree shows a grandfather who was born illegitimate, and whose birth was registered 3 years late before later reregistering in the name of his mother's husband!

In my case it appears that my grandfather, a known philanderer, also fathered my match's grandfather. My matches also match my 2C1R descended from my grandfather's brother.