Author Topic: Victoria Terrace Ringwood- a conundrum 1881/1891 Censuses  (Read 431 times)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Terrace Ringwood- a conundrum 1881/1891 Censuses
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 15:24 GMT (UK) »
The are more street directories online

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4

The earlier ones tend not to have house numbers.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Terrace Ringwood- a conundrum 1881/1891 Censuses
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your help! I have trawled old newspapers and journals, old wills etc- and have done my best to find any references to addresses in Victoria Terrace Ringwood.
I have quite a timeline for 3 Victoria Terrace from a will made in 1888 through to the testator's wife and later his son who lived there until 1939- so that covers off quite a bit of Number 3 VT!

I have nothing at all for 2 VT.

So here is some of the background picture:
1 VT seems to be the main dwelling for Charles Hiscock and his wives from 1850s through to 1900. Charles married 3 times (Eliza- 1851 d 1860; Anna 1868- d 1871 and Mary m 1884. He had a total of 12 children! Charles Hiscock was born 1826- and had a sister Emily (1829-1882). Emily married Edward Bailey in 1858 and is shown as being at 1VT in 1861. Charles 1st wife died in 1860 leaving him with 5 children at that point and so it may have been that his sister and husband moved in with Charles at 1 VT to help him! Just a thought! Charles was clearly quite affluent as his 3rd wife was the wealthy widow of a landowner. Charles was also appointed Exor of Herbert harris who lived at 3VT.
2 VT- nothing as yet
3 VT- Herbert Harris and wife Rachel- and their son W G harris who lived there till 1939
4 VT - i have now located the death of James warner in 1872 and need to research to confirm that Martha warner was his widow- and see if that line brings any new information.
5VT- seems to be the home of Stephen and Amy Street (who were master and Mistress of the Union Workhouse in Ringwood- and Amy has the surname Carver in her her tree which probably links into Carver House somewhere!
6 VT- James Hiscock- father of Amy Street and uncle to Charles Hiscock who lives at 1VT
7 VT- nothing as yet

Hope this makes a bit more sense as to where I am at with all of this!
I just need to find some rationale to work out which addresses of VT equate to the current re-numbering of them in Southampton Road.

many thanks

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)