Author Topic: John Norton of ???  (Read 538 times)

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
John Norton of ???
« on: Thursday 23 December 21 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Having trouble reading this burial transcript

Norton -   John of ?Sheppard?.... ??old?

The word Sheppard could be a last name if that's what it says

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FCANT%2F005265425%2F00410&parentid=GBPRS%2FCANT%2FD%2F95266070

Much appreciated :)
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: John Norton of ???
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 December 21 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Norton.     Jno of Sheppards     Wold or hold  :-\

Transcript mentions parents which have been wrongly taken from the entry above

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 December 21 15:02 GMT (UK) »
That's how I read it Rosie.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 December 21 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 December 21 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Rosie, Carol, Sugarbakers and bearkat.  :)

So it's a place near Dover.
It pays to go back to the original documents.

Merry Christmas!!

Cheers, Wayne  :)
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Online Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 December 21 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Wayne

Just for further clarification, Shepherdswold is the old name for this parish.  It is also known by the names of Sibertswold, Shebbertswould or Shepherdswell, and is a parish, with a village, in Dover district, Kent; on the London, Chatham and Dover railway, 6 miles northwest by north of Dover.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 December 21 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Wayne

Just for further clarification, Shepherdswold is the old name for this parish.  It is also known by the names of Sibertswold, Shebbertswould or Shepherdswell, and is a parish, with a village, in Dover district, Kent; on the London, Chatham and Dover railway, 6 miles northwest by north of Dover.
Thanks, Zacktyr, I'll keep that in mind.  :)

In the case here it say 'of Shepherdswold' against the entry for John only. It appears they are probably referring to the village near Dover.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FCANT%2F005265425%2F00410&parentid=GBPRS%2FCANT%2FD%2F95266070

Online Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 December 21 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Wayne,

I know that the place names are confusing.  I am the County Administrator for the Kent OPC project.  The village is in the parish and both were referred to over the course of several centuries and in many different documents as one or the other of the 4 names.  So, just be aware of that as if one of your searches on one of the place names turns up no results, you will have to try those same searches with the various spellings. 

For instance, FindmyPast has baptisms from Shepherdswell or Sibertswold, St Andrew.  No Shepherdswold and notice no double 'b' in Sibertswold.  On FamilySearch typing in Shepherdswell on a catalog search redirects to Sibbertswold - notice the double 'b'.  Typing in Shepherdswold results in no matching places.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE