Author Topic: Elizabeth Dunford or is it Dukes  (Read 399 times)

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Dunford or is it Dukes
« on: Friday 24 December 21 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a George Guest who on 28/03/1799 married at St Benedicts in Wombourne Staffs, either an Elizabeth Dukes or Elizabeth Dunford different websites have either name and after looking at a copy of the register I am not sure which it is but have not been able to find other details to confirm the lady's details, I have found an Elizabeth Dukes but she is born in Yoxall which is quite a way from Wombourne and I have always thought ?? that brides tend to marry in there local parish which should make this Elizabeth a local girl, any thoughts appreciated.. 

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Dunford or is it Dukes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 December 21 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Image of the original entry is on FindMyPast. The Vicar has omitted the bride's name. She didn't sign but made her mark. The name was wriiten as Elizabeth Dukes but I can see how a transcriber may have read Dunford.

There is also an entry for this marriage on FreeReg
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 December 21 15:07 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism on familysearch for an Elizabeth Dukes 19 August 1771 in Wombourne parents Thomas and Mary. There is also one on 18 August 1771 in Yoxall with parents Thomas and Mary. Not sure what is going on unless she was baptised in both her father's parish and her mother's.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 December 21 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you I think the Wombourne one is most likely, Yoxall is a good few miles as the crow flies..