Author Topic: Thomas Bell and Maggie Gawn  (Read 1811 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bell and Maggie Gawn
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 21:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Agnes Gawn Bell 18 April 1928 Queensland
Spouse James Picken
Immigration for a Agnes G Bell 1928 gives an address as 34,Barns Street Clydebank
Arrival Port Brisbane
Ship Orama

There is a few immigration records for Agnes and James Picken
There is a death for Agnes Gawn Picken 8 March 1987 Devizes Wiltshire
Birth date is 27 April 1901 getting a copy of her birth on Scotland's People will confirm if it's the one you are looking for
Husband James died 1980 Wiltshire

Rosie

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Well found, Rosie  :)

Find a will – Wills and Probate 1858 - 1996
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

PICKEN, Agnes Gawn of Roundway Hosp Devizes Wilts died 8 March 1987 Probate Bristol 21 May [1987] £59000 8751404054A

KG

Added:
Will can be purchased for £2.50.
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 21:42 GMT (UK) »
That looks really good for daughter Agnes, Rosie  :) Gawn and Bell together certainly help.

The 1901 census date was the night of 31 March/1 April. From the date you have found for Agnes's likely death, she would have been born nearly 4 weeks later in 1901.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Maybe this time My replies will post. I keep getting the warning that others have replied while I was typing. Fingers crossed this one goes. Along with photo of Agnes Gawn Bell and brother James.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much.

I have looked up West Kilpatrick and found it on a map and I will check the SP indexes for a birth of a William Bell. (though I suppose if he existed he could have been born in Ireland if Maggie was there for a while and was pregnant at the time of the census.

Thank you Kiltaglasson for the information on the births. With 3 Irish grandparents I am much more familiar with the irishgenealogy website and before that used geni.nidirect.gov.uk to purchase actual  records. (I only use it now to search using mother's maiden name to get childrens names and dates then switch to the irishgenealogy site.)

How much does it cost to view a SP record? I think I will open an account to view some of the records you have all found for me.

I have a record for a Norman Bell aged 42, with wife Jean (aged 43) arriving from Sydney in Feb 1951. The address he was going to was 70 Barne St, Clydebank. So this seems a possibility now and his wife should? be listed on the death record.

In NZ the death records also listed children, though not names, just age and sex.

There was another Norman Bell, seaman arriving from New York in 1938 and he gave an address in Hartlepool. I did not find him in 1939.

I will look up Thomas Irwin Bell in Lancashire. (Thank you Rosie and Monica) I found a record for another Thomas Irwin Bell and wife Mary Louise Cook as parents of a Marcia Lynda Bell who married in Washington in 1951. I am pleased I can discount that one now.

And I can check again for Thomas Bell in 1911 using the Clydebank location. (Thank you Kay99)  Perhaps the couple were separated so he listed himself as single. There are too many Thomas Bells to look for his birth in Ireland but now at least I can hope he stayed and died in Scotland.

My DNA match does not have a tree and has not replied to messages so though I think she belongs to this family, I could not be sure. And being female the surname Bell could be her married name. Though with  possible marriages for 2 out of 3 of Maggie's sons,  I think there is a good chance my match could be a 2nd or 3rd cousin as predicted by the amount of DNA we share.

Cheers.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 21:47 GMT (UK) »

Immigration for a Agnes G Bell 1928 gives an address as 34,Barns Street Clydebank
Arrival Port Brisbane
Ship Orama

From the 1930 Valuation Rolls on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Thomas BELL
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE 34 EAST BARNS STREET CLYDEBANK OLD KILPATRICK
VR001300001-

Thomas Bell likely still alive then.

Monica

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie

Your reply came in while I was answering all the earlier posts. That Barn St address is very close to the address for Norman Bell & wife Jean in 1951, when returning from Sydney on the Himalaya.

Was Scottish census in March 1901? So Agnes just missed that one. I have a photo of her and James with their parents. I will try and attach.

Now I will update my tree with the marriages and birth dates and see where that leads.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 21:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas Bell showing at that address up to 1940. SP currently have the Valuation Rolls online up to 1940.

Monica