Author Topic: Missing family  (Read 1864 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Missing family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 January 22 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I wonder but no Thomas in the County plenty elsewhere?

CONAWAY   GEORGE      M   1864   856/ 1   Balmaclellan

CONWAY   MARY      F   1869   884/ 49   Urr

Colin

Going back to these two entries by Colin, Family Search show mother as Mary Black :-\

George - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYY1-DLL
Mary - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYTS-FHL

Father in Mary's reg now showing as Miles rather than John. Tricky lot this!

Added: There is also a son James born to this couple (father Miles) in 1857...not that I can see him so far in 1861 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBMH-3MP

Also Charles in 1859 (father Miles) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYY1-1XX - possible death for Charles, aged 3, in Borgue in 1863. Surname given as CONNALEY, mother's maiden name Black.

And Hannah who was born and died in 1866 (father John) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYRQ-DMF

Monica

PS: But still no Thomas with these names.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 January 22 23:46 GMT (UK) »
indigo78, what do you have on Mary Connelly in later years? How have you connected to her and family?

Monica

Offline indigo78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 January 22 11:43 GMT (UK) »
indigo78, what do you have on Mary Connelly in later years? How have you connected to her and family?

Monica

Hi i believe she may have had a child named William Connolly on the 11 SEP 1897 • Kirkcudbright, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. He was later adopted. On Williams birth certificate it states his mothers name as being Mary Connolly and that he was illegitimate. That is all i have to by unfortunately.
Gillard, Bowden,Burden,Lock,Rowe,Sartn,Chitty.
Places of interest, Somerset, Devon, Dorset,Surrey

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 January 22 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Indigo78, If as MonicaL believes that Mary Connelly maiden name is Mary Black, I found this.

Death:
Mary Conolly
widow of John Connolly-labourer
died: 10 November 1900 6.45pm
High Street, Kirkcudbright
father: John Black (deceased)
mother: Mary Black m.s. Wilson (deceased)
cause: cancer of stomach-5 months
informant: George Connelly son present

the only thing about this is the age seems to be way out or census' were off(which isn't unheard of)but also husband given as John not Miles of the above mentioned birth certs. I am beginning to wonder if Mary had been married more than once.Mind it usually says on death cert and this one only lists John.A puzzle indeed.Kim

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 January 22 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Ihave checked freeBMD (for England), Scotlandspeople (for Scotland)and irishgenealogy.ie (for Ireland) trying to locate a marriage of Mary Black & John Connelly (& various spellings) with no success.Either her nameisn't Black or perhaps as Ii ppreviously remarked, she was married beforeKim

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 January 22 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Ihave checked freeBMD (for England), Scotlandspeople (for Scotland)and irishgenealogy.ie (for Ireland) trying to locate a marriage of Mary Black & John Connelly (& various spellings) with no success.Either her nameisn't Black or perhaps as Ii ppreviously remarked, she was married beforeKim
If she married for a second time (or more) in Scotland, the index should record her maiden surname as well as any previous married surnames.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 January 22 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, I know that but it doesn't appear as Mary Black/John Connelly. Thats why I previously wondered if she may have been married to a McDonald before. Indigo78 doesn't have much of certainty to go on. Kim

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 January 22 16:17 GMT (UK) »
The Catholic registers on SP have another two potential children born to this couple, baptised in Dalbeattie:

Gulielmus (William) Connell, b. 8 May 1852; bap. 30 Jun 1852. Parents: Milesius Connell/Maria Black
Johannes (John) Conway, b. 20 Oct 1854; bap. 24 Nov 1854. Parents: Milesius Conway/Maria Black

The birth registrations for George (1864, father John) and Mary (1869, father Miles) say the couple were married in Downpatrick, Ireland - either in 1847 (which is what is given on George's record) or 1850. There's no marriage noted on Hannah's birth registration, and marriages weren't recorded on registrations prior to 1860.

Interestingly, Mary Black registered all the births on her own, with the exception of James's birth in 1857, when the father registered the birth. He is noted as being an 'itinerant labourer, not domiciled'. Charles was noted as being born 'at the road side' - and on his death registration, he died 'near the manse' and his mother (who registered the death) is noted as being a 'mendicant' or beggar.

So, I can't help feeling that these were travellers - which may explain why they appear to be absent from at least the 1861 and 1871 censuses.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 January 22 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right, Ruth. Very fluid family and hard to pin down really.

Kim, your find of a death in 1900 for a Mary Black Connolly sounds a good possibility for her, regardless of the age reported! Help to have son George report her death.

Monica