Author Topic: Martha Elizabeth Dyke c1830-1836  (Read 1289 times)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Elizabeth Dyke c1830-1836
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Could Martha have been sent to live with relatives after her mother's death.
Or I am clutching at straws.
This Martha could be a niece of Eliza and not related to James at all.

1851 North Cadbury Somerset
John Napper 42
Eliza Napper 42-  maiden name Dyke.
they have a large family
Martha Dyke 16 servant born North Cadbury

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered that on Georgianna's chirstening from 1826 he is recorded as a cook. Her full name seem to be Geogianna Laura Dyke and I am questioning her place in the tree.

Your James did have a daughter named Georgiana, but she is not the Georgiana Laura who was baptised with the father who was a cook.

No, they are a different family, parents are (James) Vincent DYKE and Martha GRAHAM.  They can be found together in 1841 and mother and daughter are together in 1851.  That Georgiana married John ELLIS in 1843.

Debra  :D

Henrietta Augusta Dyke married Basil Hunt in 1859. I have their marriage certificate and the witnesses to this were Henry Dyke [who I have not identified] and Martha Elizabeth Dyke.

The female witness was Margaret Elizabeth DYKE, not Martha.  Martha was already married by then.

Hi Debra

I did always wonder about that christening for Georgianna but I hadn't actually spotted the occupation of that James until I looked at it again this week lol!

As for the witness on Henrietta's marriage, you are quite correct, it was Margaret and not Martha Elizabeth lol! I wrote the message late at night and didn't have my copies of the certificates etc to hand. I thought I had made an error on my tree as I have her as "Margaret Elizabeth" on that.

Sorry for the mix up.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Narcissus seems to have adopted the name 'Henry' instead so he may be the witness at Henrietta's marriage.

Yes I've noticed that as well. I have his marriage certificate which shows him as Narcissus Hewson Henry Dyke. I think that's a lovely name myself.

Unfortunately I don't yet know when he died but he shouldn't be hard to trace with a name like that.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 11:47 GMT (UK) »
GRO  Index deaths

James's wife Martha "Henson" Dyke age 46 death recorded J Quarter Stepney Vol 02 page 309

ADDED
GRO Index births

Alfred John Dyke birth registered Stepney 1841 Vol 02 page 453 mother's maiden name Ryale.

So he definately belongs on your tree.

Thanks for those. I have Martha's burial record not her death date, although I thought I had her death certificate. She was buried at Mile End Old Town on 5 April 1846 age 46 which ties in with the June Qtr death record.

As for Alfred, I had no idea he had the middle name John as I have not done much research on him. It is interesting that Martha's name is spelt Ryale here as that's a variation I've not come across so far. Spellings I have encountered include Ryall, Ryal, Riall, Riell, Rile, and in one transcription Royal [which I think was mistranscribed].

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 12:09 GMT (UK) »
They are in St George in th eEast in 1871:

William MICKLEFIELD  52  (shoe finisher)
Elizabeth                        39  (dealer, Stepney)
Joseph                           16
Emma                             14
Elizabeth                          8
RG10/536/29 pg 3

Elizabeth has mmn DYKE

William MICKLEFIELD is unmarried in 1861 at Limehouse.
RG9/284/173 pg36

I see that Joseph and Emma were actually registered as MURRAY:
Joseph Charles Pinkenny MURRAY 1855 Stepney, mmn DYKE
Emma Esther MURRAY 1857 Stepney mmn DYKE

Now that's interesting and defintely proves that the Martha Elizabeth Micklefield who marred Robert is the same person as my ancestor.

Emma Esther Murray listed here is my 2x great grandmother and I have been in contact with descendants of her and also descendants of her brother Joseph Charles. I am lucky enough to have photos of both given to me my relatives.

This would also explain why I can't find Martha or her children in the 1871 census, I was looking for the wrong name! I have her in the 1861 census when she is simply recorded as "Elizabeth Murray" widow. She is lodging at 1 Church Street, Stepney along with her daughter Emma age 3. Emma's age fits with her date of birth [she was born 20 Sep 1857 at 12 Dean Street, Shadwell and christened 31 Jul 1859 at Shadwell]. Her place of birth is shown in this census as Stepney but on all other records I have it is shown as Shadwell. She married Florence Donovan in Feb 1880 at the church of St John the Evangelist in the parish of St George in the East. At the time of the 1911 census they are living in Old Gravel Lane which is where I know the Donovan family lived for a good time after that.

Anyhow thanks again for that added info. I will see if I can track down Martha and William's marriage.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 December 21 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I've done some more digging today to try and track down the marriage between Martha Elizabeth Murray [nee Dyke] and William Micklefield, but so far I've had no luck at all with that.

What I have found however are deaths for both Martha and her third husband Robert George Kemp.

Robert George Kemp - 1906 - Mile End Old Town - Age 64 [Born 1842] - Vol 1C Page 278

Martha Elizabeth Kemp - 1910 - Mile End Old Town - Age 73 [Born 1837] - Vol 1C Page 206

Both from England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007 on Findmypast

Assuming the age here is pretty accurate I think this probably narrows Martha's year of birth down to around 1835-1837

So at least I now know when Martha died, I just hope I can pin down her birth/christening as well.

Matt

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 December 21 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Martha Elizabeth Kemp - 1910 - Mile End Old Town - Age 73 [Born 1837] - Vol 1C Page 206

This looks like the same Martha/Elizabeth. I can't see a death registration for an Elizabeth Martha Kemp. And Maddys' post for Martha and William Micklefield in the 1871 census also named her as Elizabeth.

East London Observer
18 Jun 1910
page 7, column 5
Limehouse Widow's Dog Bite
- At an inquest on Saturday,
- held at Stepney,
- by Mr Wynne Baxter, the East London coroner,
- on Elizabeth Martha Kemp,
- aged 73, widow,
- late of Emmott Street, Limehouse,
- it was stated that some time ago
- she was bitten by a dog
- The wound was treated, and healed up,
- but the woman thought that she would contract hydrophobia
- On Wednesday she was found dead in bed
- Medical evidence showed that death as due to cerebral hemorrhage
- The bite had nothing to do with the death,
- except so far that it gave the deceased a great shock
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 December 21 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Good find cuffie!

This looks like Martha in 1901 at 4 Bridge St, MEOT

John KEMP   63   (Dock pensioner)
Martha           61

next door is Robert KEMP aged 40 and his wife. (most likely Robert George's son)
RG13/333 pg 45

This is the same address as on Robert and Martha's marriage in 1895. Robert's father's name is John, not sure why it has "John" on the 1901 census.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 31 December 21 14:07 GMT (UK) »

This looks like the same Martha/Elizabeth. I can't see a death registration for an Elizabeth Martha Kemp. And Maddys' post for Martha and William Micklefield in the 1871 census also named her as Elizabeth.

East London Observer
18 Jun 1910
page 7, column 5
Limehouse Widow's Dog Bite
- At an inquest on Saturday,
- held at Stepney,
- by Mr Wynne Baxter, the East London coroner,
- on Elizabeth Martha Kemp,
- aged 73, widow,
- late of Emmott Street, Limehouse,
- it was stated that some time ago
- she was bitten by a dog
- The wound was treated, and healed up,
- but the woman thought that she would contract hydrophobia
- On Wednesday she was found dead in bed
- Medical evidence showed that death as due to cerebral hemorrhage
- The bite had nothing to do with the death,
- except so far that it gave the deceased a great shock

Now that does look interesting. I'll see if I can find any more about this inquest in other papers.

Maybe she wasn't always known as Martha, perhaps she preferred Elizabeth. Or did she use Elizabeth as her first name to hide her identity? Could it be that the reason I can't find, and indeed none else has yet found, a marriage for her to William Micklefield, is because it took place when she was married to Joseph?? Just a thought but it is something I encountered before.

Then again it may be that she didn't alway use Martha or sometimes called herself Elizabeth Martha rather than Martha Elizabeth. My ancestor Morris Edwin Gravett is recorded on his two marriage certificates, and on the birth and marriage certificates as Morris Edwin, Maurice, Morris, and even Edward on one record and on a census. As for my nan, her name was Constance Galdys Rook, but on her marriage certificate she called herself Mary Constance Rook! We have no idea why she did this but we know it's the correct marriage as we've identified the witnesses and made contact with descentants of them.

On the other hand perhaps there's no mystery or puzzle here at all and she simply didn't always use both first names. I have two first names myself mostly only use the first, even though I prefer my middle name.

I'll order both death certificates and hopefully that will add some more info to the puzzle.

Thank again for the info about the inquest, I'm off to hunt it down....

Best Wishes and Happy New Year
Matt