Author Topic: General Register of Interments The Birmingham Borough Cemetery Witton.  (Read 1760 times)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
General Register of Interments The Birmingham Borough Cemetery Witton.
« on: Wednesday 29 December 21 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if there is any way to access the burial records of those buried in Witton Cemetrey at all, please?

Kindest Regards
Andrew

Offline thassos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: General Register of Interments The Birmingham Borough Cemetery Witton.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 21 11:50 GMT (UK) »
https://birminghamburialrecords.co.uk/

This site gives burial records for Birmingham, you can pay £10 for extra information about the burial.

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 21 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Is there anyway to view this books for free do you know? Are they available to the public in anyway?

Kindest Regards
Andrew

Offline thassos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 21 12:02 GMT (UK) »
You could try phoning Witton Cemetery and asking them, but I have a feeling there might still be a fee. I did visit the cemetery some years ago to ask where two of my ancestors were buried and they told me they were buried in different parts of the cemetery in paupers graves, so as you can imagine that left me quite sad. 

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 21 15:55 GMT (UK) »
They will refer you to the Birmingham burials website and yes there is a charge, I think it's disgraceful to have to pay to find a family grave and visit it and I told them so at a different Birmingham Cemetery!! They say it's to cover the cost of the digitisation.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 December 21 15:56 GMT (UK) »
You could try phoning Witton Cemetery and asking them, but I have a feeling there might still be a fee. I did visit the cemetery some years ago to ask where two of my ancestors were buried and they told me they were buried in different parts of the cemetery in paupers graves, so as you can imagine that left me quite sad.

How very sad that the authority intimated that your ancestors were buried in "pauper" graves.  To my mind what you have said is that your ancestors did not have enough money to purchase a "private" grave and were therefore interred in a "public" grave.  After all, money to feed the living is much more essential than a memorial.   :-\ :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 December 21 20:51 GMT (UK) »
It's a shame that they were buried in a paupers grave! :(

I would ask them to be fair but I've come across so many rude people, basically telling me to pay £30 to have a look for someone, this was to do with RobinHood Cemetery in Hall Green, Birmingham. I was very hesitant, as they confirmed it might not bring any finds, and regardless of finding anything, it would still be £30. It was only after doing more digging and speaking with people from the library of Birmingham I found out that the dates I requested for Robin Hood Cemetery were WAY before it was created!

I found the woman very rude and all it seemed like she cared about was me paying an extortionate amount of money! A simple "I would advise you contact 'x' Cemetery as this cemetery was not around during the timeframe you have given" would have been very useful, not "Historic burial searches are £30. Be aware that we might not find any results".

Anyway, I don't like to ask for much help from people, Rootschat is enough for me as most people share common interests.

I agree Rayard, £10 is also quite expensive, I get there is a cost for digitalization, however, I feel £10 is pretty extreme. I purchased one of my ancestors the other day, and the information I got was very limited but I understand that records change over time so different things were records ect.. But was really hoping for a date of death and not just a burial date. I not have to either pay another £10 for his legal wife (as they split, and he 'remarried'), as she is also buried in the same cemetery, or I need to find a way of trying to get hold of the index to have a look for a lesser charge.

Thank you for your comments all! :)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 December 21 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Some years ago I was researching the benefactors of a nonconformist seminary in Birmingham and had occasion to visit Witton Cemetery on several occasions. I invariably found the staff very helpful. For example, they would allow me to examine their burial ledgers merely for the asking, assuming I had a name and a rough date of death. A few years later I went back to find the grave of my own grandparents. I was surprised to be remembered and was accorded the same courtesies as before. If you can get there I think you may find the visit worthwhile.

Offline Bojalu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 March 22 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Paupers graves are paid for by the Parish, usually for a penniless person,  these days paid for by  the local authority.

Some people confuse a Paupers grave with a  Public grave / Common grave.
The family pay for public /common graves at a reduced rate( the deceased person can be buried with unrelated people) .
Even some of the wealthy are buried in public graves with unrelated people and are common in most cemeteries and burial grounds.
Private family graves were more expensive as are the catacombs.

From the 1980's onwards,  volunteers of  Birmingham & Midland Society of Genealogy & Heraldry   (BMSGH) also known as Midland Ancestors  have  scanned and transcribed burial records for
 Key Hill Cemetery,
Warstone Lane Cemetery,
Handsworth Cemetery
 & Witton Cemetery for £5.00 each.

Birmingham Burials on-line was created in 2017 with Birmingham City Council and Bereavement Services (Cemeteries).  The original cost was £20.00 each, now reduced to £10.00.

Alternatively you can view all Birmingham Cemetery records,  for  no charge at Birmingham Archives. As well as Parish burials (church yards).
Although both are places of rest where you look for records  differ.  An Appointment may be necessary at Birmingham Archives in Broad Street.

All three will hold the same information, will give date of burial, may state who officiated service, who purchased plot, depending on year, cemetery & officiant.  if it is a private grave, public grave.     

Cemetery staff are  helpful , but we  have to remember they are there to deal with funerals, new  burials, new headstones, re-opening of graves and rather than family history  another reason why Birmingham Burials online was set up.   
Cemetery staff are working at a reduced capacity during the pandemic.

Friends of Key Hill Cemetery & Warstone Lane Cemetery have an index to for burials for both cemeteries.
Key Hill Cemetery a nondenominational this  resting place was  formally known as the General Cemetery , whilst the cemetery next door Warstone Lane Cemetery is  Church of England.
Warstone Lane cemetery is sometimes referred to as Brookfields Cemetery or The Mint Cemetery ( near the  former Mint company (making money)
Both cemeteries are located in Hockley, Birmingham also known as the Jewellery Quarter.