Author Topic: help find missing child North Shields  (Read 6456 times)

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help find missing child North Shields
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 04 June 22 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thank you for your interest.
 :)
I have Margaret Jane at Robson's Row living with the rest of her family in 1871, you have to turn the page to see her name.
Again in 1881 at  17 Dotwick Street you have to turn the page, at that point she is 13 years of age.
I am unable to find an 1891 census for her, but having looked again at the 1901 I have I see the place of birth South Shields which does not match. This means maybe I don't have the correct record?
 Marriage info:
Name:   Margaret Jane Johnson
Registration Year:   1889
Registration Quarter:   Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration District:   Tynemouth

Inferred County:   Northumberland
Volume:   10b
Page:   355
Records on Page:   
Name
Margaret Jane Johnson
James Wilson
That all looks OK?

Having another look at the death record  in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, I found one for a Margaret J Wilson Tynemouth 1916 with the correct hear of birth, this is more likely to be her. Not strong evidence tho?
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 04 June 22 11:21 BST (UK) »
Christian / Christoper Michael. You have the right man he must have used the name Christopher too.
The Find a Grave has a death notice image for him and the address is Waldo St - which fits in with wht you know.
AND (icing on the cake) If you have access to Find My Past, there is a merchant seamans record card
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=TNA%2FMSEA%2FBT350%2F12%2F86%2F128647&parentid=TNA%2FBT350%2F2130829879%2F1

dated 1921 which says
Christopher Michael Johnson born 5 Nov 1876 Nth Shields
He handily gives his next of kin as Sarah Coleman (sister) 29 Union St, North Shields.

Ticks every one of the boxes and it also has his photograph :-)

If no else solves your Margaret Jane, I'll have a look, but it wont be for a day or so.

Boo

Thank you for pointing this out for me, I now have the information.  There is a strong family resemblance. It would be lovely to know if Chris looked like either of his parents,  but unlikely to ever find out! Also having the connection between Sarah and Chris from the 1921 census it all fits together.
I have to get a plot number for Chris's grave in Preston before  trying to visit as the place is huge and I have spent tine wandering round it in the past looking for plots so I think I will get together a list of the other Johnsons  at Preston I have not yet been to pay my respects to then  visit a few at once. I have a plot map of the cemetery. 

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 04 June 22 11:33 BST (UK) »
Apart from that index entry (which, as an index, is just a 'pointer' to how to get the record to see the details) do you have anything that confirms this is the correct Margaret Jane Johnson?

Free BMD, Search marriages
Johnson, Margaret J
date range 1881 - 1891
to start with limit the search to the county of Northumberland (got to start somewhere!)

5 results (including the one who married James WILSON)

You need to look at each one, click the page number to see the possible spouses, search later census returns to see if you can determine which male on each page married which female. Find the one that particular Margaret Jane Johnson married, check her age and birth place to see if she is possible or can be discounted do that on all later census returns you have access to to see if the info is consistent

Its a long slow process, but apart from buying all the certs its the most likely to possibly find what you are looking for.

Marriage locator
 http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk
 may tell you where these marriages took place - as long as it was an Anglican venue.

If you draw a blank in Northumberland you would need to repeat that original search country wide, throw a double six and start again.

Busy weekend here, so I don't have time to help you search, but let us know if you manage to confirm /discount any and when I have more time I'll take a look.

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 04 June 22 13:14 BST (UK) »
Apart from that index entry (which, as an index, is just a 'pointer' to how to get the record to see the details) do you have anything that confirms this is the correct Margaret Jane Johnson?

Free BMD, Search marriages
Johnson, Margaret J
date range 1881 - 1891
to start with limit the search to the county of Northumberland (got to start somewhere!)

5 results (including the one who married James WILSON)

You need to look at each one, click the page number to see the possible spouses, search later census returns to see if you can determine which male on each page married which female. Find the one that particular Margaret Jane Johnson married, check her age and birth place to see if she is possible or can be discounted do that on all later census returns you have access to to see if the info is consistent

Its a long slow process, but apart from buying all the certs its the most likely to possibly find what you are looking for.

Marriage locator
 http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk
 may tell you where these marriages took place - as long as it was an Anglican venue.

If you draw a blank in Northumberland you would need to repeat that original search country wide, throw a double six and start again.

Busy weekend here, so I don't have time to help you search, but let us know if you manage to confirm /discount any and when I have more time I'll take a look.

Boo

Thank you, that is a helpful plan. I will have a look at Free BMD. I don't have any stronger evidence than what I have posted, so I need to look again, there are other possibilities than the one I was working on. The Wilson marriage  is just a hypothesis.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 04 June 22 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Our Ancestors,
I don't have the plot number (local studies is closed this weekend on account of Jubilee) but looking online the memorial for Christopher M. Johnson appears to be in Section C General at Preston Cemetery.
(I don't know how to find memorials by plot; I tend to just go off section if this is known or can be found out.)

Walking up the central path from the entrance gate go past the hedge on the left of Section C.  Look for a Cross memorial (grey colour) on the left for a Charles Robert Brightman who died 1923.  The Cross is mounted on 4 platforms each ascending one smaller than the one below and this is not far from path side.

It would seem that Christopher's memorial will be somewhere in the vicinity to the left of this memorial.  It looks like a small black pot memorial with gold lettering 'Christopher M. Johnson 1876 - 1945'.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 04 June 22 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Our Ancestors,
You mention an interest in finding a photo of your ancestors.  This might be a long shot but it might be worth mentioning.
Tyne and Wear Archives have a huge criminal mugshot album for the North Shields area early part of 20th century.  This has hundreds of photos in and these are good quality (and you can buy copies).  Plus they have an index file of names.
Perhaps your ancestors or spouses were never convicted of a crime but if they were, even if it was just something petty, they might feature in the album.
It might be worth considering, if you are able visit the archives.  This is the reference.

Ref: DX1388/1

Also a Great War ancestor might feature on the Illustrated Chronicle website or the Northumbria WW1 Project or North East War Memorials Project.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/illustratedchronicleww1?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

http://northumbriaworldwarone.co.uk/northumbria-ww1-project-database/

http://www.newmp.org.uk/

These are just some general ideas about possibly locating photos.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 04 June 22 18:24 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPWY-Y7ZN

FamilySearch gives a Wallsend marriage of Margaret Jane Johnson to James Wilson on 15th September 1889.  Father's name given as William Johnson so this looks like this must not be the Margaret you are looking for.

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1889&qtr=3&vol=10b&page=337&search=search

The other 1889 marriage was at Holy Trinity, Tynemouth.  Either Thomas Peter Lock or John Edward Usher? north Shields local studies appear to hold these Holy Trinity marriages. :)
Added: Didn't Andrew Johnson marry at this Church too? (See post 18)

https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/category/1017/local-studies-and-information

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 14:54 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the marriage record showing on microfilm is very faded but I think Margaret Jane's Father looks like 'Peter Johnson' - but can't be absolutely sure.
Possibly a Sarah? (?) Fletcher? as one witness.  All parties signed names.

From a printed volume I can confirm that a Margaret Jane Johnson age 22 married a John Edward Usher age 26 at Holy Trinity, Tynemouth on 17 Aug 1889.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 15:05 BST (UK) »
Should you wish to get the record to be sure, Northumberland Archives will provide a digital scan of the original register at a cost of £5, which is a much cheaper option than an official cert.
If you mail them they will confirm and email you an order/copyright form.

Boo