Author Topic: help find missing child North Shields  (Read 6090 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help find missing child North Shields
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 December 21 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Its extremely sad, but unfortunately not  uncommon for children way back then to be badly burned and sometimes die from being too close and falling into fireplaces.

Don't know if you are aware but whereas the old printed indexes didn't give mother's maiden names for births prior to 1911 and ages at death prior to sometime in the 1860s the GRO site (free to register and search)
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp#LoginForm
now provides that info - which is VERY useful to find these children both born and died too soon between census years.
It also gives you the option to purchase a pdf of the register entry (births up to 1920, deaths up to 1957) at £7 rather than a full cert at £11.

Please be aware that though this 'feels' right, it needs to be checked out carefully to be sure its the right family.
Given that there was no death registration with an age to match this burial in 1907 and the second  was less than the usual timeframe before unrelated people were buried in the same grave, I worked on the assumption they were related in some way - this is the only possible I have been able to find but can't guarantee it without seeing original records.

We aren't allowed to post full info from the 1911 census, but can post a link to the transcripts on Family Search (if you don't have an account its simple and free to register and you will have to be signed in to see this)

This looks likely to be the family in 1911
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWMN-G78?

If you have access to one of the main. genealogy sites you should be able to see the image by using that info. Depending on how many children they say they'd had and how many had died, if this little girl fits in with those numbers then its a plus point that the info I found is for the right family.

If you know which cemetery these burials are in, I'd suggest that you contact the North tyneside local history centre once the holidays are over and ask if they would have time to check the microfilm of the burial register to confirm the age of the Edith Johnson who was buried 27 March 1907.  If, as I suspect, it says 5 then that would be another plus point for this being the right child, who was 'possibly' buried with her Granny.
There is an email address for them on this page:
https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/category/1017/local-studies-and-information

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 December 21 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I looked through the GRO births index for Johnson births Tynemouth District with a mmn of Thewlis or variants.

Between 1900 (a year after Andrew Peter and Margaret married,) I can see 6 matching registrations (though would advise you to repeat the search in case I missed any)

In 1901 there were no children listed with them.

All in Tynemouth District
1900 Births Q3 Edith Mern Johnson, mmn Thewliss, Deaths Q3 1900 Edith Mern Johnson, age 0
1902 Births Edith Morn Johnson, mmn Thewliss, Deaths Q1 1907, Edith Moin Johnson, age 5
1903 Births Q1 Thomas Coleman Johnson, mmn Thewlis  - was on 1911 census with parents
1905 Births Q4  Christian Michael, mmn Thewlis -was on 1911 census with parents
1907 Births Andrew Peter Johnson, mmn Thewlis -was on 1911 census with parents
Apologies, have altered this next one to correct the typo.
1901EDIT: 1910 Births Q1 Elizabeth Johnson, mmn Thewlis -was on 1911 census with parents.

So check the image for the 1911 census and if it says they'd had 6 children by then, 4 still alive and 2 died that list seems to check out ?

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 December 21 19:30 GMT (UK) »
So both of the Edith Morns died young. Its the same census which i am working off. Yes, on the census t North Street  4 living children and 2 deceased. Why didnt i notice?I will let this percolate for a few days. Thank you all for your help.
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 December 21 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I will obtain a pdf certificate for Edith  morn who died in the fire and contact ntc about the grave at Preston cemetery
🙏
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 December 21 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I can access the burial records on microfilm at North Shields local studies and I have been able to find the 1907 entry:

Preston Cemetery, North Shields
Entry 207
Edith M Johnson
Female
5 years
Daughter of Andrew Johnson
Infirmary
6 Front Street
Burial 27 March 1907
Ceremony by J Wallace
Consecrated plot 9766
Chirton parish

It 100% does not say age 57.  Age very clear as 5.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/235431787/edith-m-johnson

I have now added this to Find A Grave too and if you are on there yourself I would be happy to transfer memorial to you.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 December 21 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Take a bow RTL ! :-)
That matches exactly with the age, father's name and home address in the newspaper reports which also said she died in the hospital.
As you know I have a 'thing' about children born and died too soon, really pleased we have been able to document this little one whose death was so very sad.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 December 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Boo, I am always happy to help out when I can. :)  I agree it is so very sad when you come across such tragic deaths and see life cut short in ones so young.

I thought I might as well look up the entry for Edith Rebecca while I am here too.  I have also added this to Find A Grave:

Entry 1948
Edith Rebecca Johnson
Female
56 years
Widow
Place where death occurred: Mount Pleasant
Burial 30 March 1903
Ceremony by ( Mc L ..?) Curate of Holy Trinity
Consecrated plot 9766
Chirton Parish

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/235432056/edith-rebecca-johnson?createdMemorial=Yes
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 December 21 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Just to add further there is a Holy Trinity marriage volume here which records that Andrew Peter Johnson age 26 married Margaret Thewlis age 19 at Holy Trinity on 28 August 1899.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 December 21 11:06 GMT (UK) »
There is also a baptism volume 1895 - 1906 for Holy Trinity and baptism entries for Andrew Peter & Margaret Johnson's children:

Christian Michael bapt 14 Sep 1905 born '4 Sept'

Thomas Colman bapt 28 April 1903 born 10 April 1903.