Author Topic: Family mystery re. Scholastica Seville (married name Randall)  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family mystery re. Scholastica Seville (married name Randall)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 December 21 22:13 GMT (UK) »
For instance, were they related to the "Robert Mann" and teenage boy on the list or were they just living in the same place, etc.

Unfortunately relationships weren't given in 1841 but the other 2 people were born in Middlesex so I suspect they were just lodging there. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 December 21 22:24 GMT (UK) »
William Seville burial Lambeth 3 Dec 1862 age 75 - Portland Place South Clapham Road

ties in with the address on 1861 census found earlier which was 19 Portland Place
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 December 21 23:13 GMT (UK) »
William Seville burial Lambeth 3 Dec 1862 age 75 - Portland Place South Clapham Road

ties in with the address on 1861 census found earlier which was 19 Portland Place

I'm not convinced this is the right William Seville even tho he was born in Gloucestershire around the right time. In earlier censuses he is listed as a labourer, his son-in-law is a publican.
So not a good match for the Clothier / Gentleman he was earlier in life.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline theirchild

• RootsChat Extra
  • "A little thanks goes a long way."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 31 December 21 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Niki, (Or is it "Salut" since you're in France?)  :)

Rootschatters are unlikely to post images of the census here, or send them to you via a PM, as it would breach copyright and the terms of their subscription.

So if you're still looking to access the census documents mentioned in replies above, I have a couple of suggestions. (Lawful ones!)

This first one will need to be done TODAY. Since the pandemic began, Anc**try has provided at-home access to its Library edition, normally only accessible by going to a public library, archive or other institution that has subscribed to it. But that ends today, unfortunately. (Hence the urgency.)

You need to be a library member, obviously, and some libraries don't offer membership to those without a local connection. Some don't have a way of joining online, either. And some don't subscribe to Ancestry. But I've found one which doesn't require a local connection, does have an online joining facility and does subscribe to Anc**try. Hackney. You can join here:

https://llc.ent.sirsidynix.net.uk/custom/web/registration/index.html?locale=en_GB&profile=hackney

This provides temporary membership - which apparently lasts for 3 months - but you only need it for today, so that's OK. The terms and conditions say you need to go to a library to get full membership - but you don't need full membership either.

Once you've joined, you need to go to:

https://hackney.gov.uk/e-library

Scroll down, to where it says:

"For a Limited period..."

Then click on "Anc**try" (which is underlined and in blue text).

This takes you to the log in page.

Bingo!

My second suggestion is to check out this Rootschat thread, which includes a link to half-price membership of Anc**try (go to Reply #2 by *Sandra*):

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=805734.99

The link has been around for a number of years but Rootschatters have posted very recently saying that it still works. (There are other threads about it but they're evading me right now.) If you use the link, please post on the above thread to confirm that it's still working. *Sandra* (and other Rootschat members) would appreciate you doing so.

Best of luck!

Rgds,

theirchild
Rootschat is free. Saying "thanks" also costs nothing.

"Gratitude is the sign of a noble soul."
- Aesop

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom."
- Henry Ward Beecher
--------------------------
NAME INTERESTS

ANDERSON: Shoreditch, Bethnal Grn & Glasgow
AVIS: Mayfield & Rotherfield
BASSETT: Mayfield, Rotherfield, Wadhurst, Ticehurst, Tunbridge Wells & nearby
MANN: Stepney & Shoreditch
MILLS: Shoreditch
RUSSELL: Mayfield & Burwash
SCHOLTZ: Islington & Kentish Town
WITT: Christchurch & nearby (Hants)

Offline annikethierry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 December 21 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

BIG thanks again to everyone for your precious help.
I'm busy trying to put the pieces together. I do believe we now have Scholastica's father William Seville (from Glos) and William's parents sorted. And have discovered her sister Frances, thanks to all your efforts !

I guess Frances was (sadly) the one who was buried aged 2 years 10 months in 1835 in Stroud. Thanks to Marmalady for that info!! No further clue as to Scholastica's precise birthdate - any ideas welcome. Also all other suggestions about William's death welcome too.

Huge thanks to theirchid for all the detailed information on how to access censuses. I will indeed renew my subscription to Anc..y soon using the discount (it appears to work but I will be doing that in a couple of months as I usually get my subscription paid for at my birthday ;)... Also, I've signed up to the Hackney Library, am am busy downloading as many documents as I can while it's still free, so thanks a lot for the tip!! Think my day is going to be busy!!  ;)

I'll keep going with my research today. Any other suggestions are welcome.
And once again BIG thanks to theirchild, Milliepede, Marmalady, Queenofthewest, johnwood, capetown, Hanes Teulu and Galium for all your hard work ! This is a fantastic place to find help and I'd like to send you all my best wishes for 2022 from Burgundy, France !!

Niki
PS To answer Theirchild's question, I live in France (my mother married here), so it could be Salut or Bonjour :), and I have origins from England, Scotland, Norway, Spain, Austria and Moldavia (among others), which makes my genealogy research quite fascinating (and challenging in some cases as I have to adapt to each country's registries, recording systems and admin, but it's fun !)
PS2 I'll write down Milliepede's discoveries re William's death but will be searching for other options too as suggested by Marmalady, thanks to you all - and what wonderful names you've given yourselves !! :)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 31 December 21 12:58 GMT (UK) »
It looks like this William had a sister called Scholastica, who was baptised in 1798 and passed away in 1813 in Bisley, Gloucestershire.

This means that Scholastica Randall (née Seville/Coxhead) could have been named after her paternal aunt and her father's grandmother. Perhaps the sister, Frances, was named after William's mother Frances?

Queenie  :)
Just to confirm 1813 death -
Cheltenham Chronicle, 16 Sep 1813
After a short illness, in her 16th year, the youngest daughter of Mr William Seville, Chalford

The Gloucester Journal reported that game certificates were issued 1805 and 1806 to -
"Seville, William, Gent, Chalford"

Good luck for 2022

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 31 December 21 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I must confess that I have only tried to follow a William Seville "Artist", please see attachment, the year was 1837.

John

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 December 21 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I must confess that I have only tried to follow a William Seville "Artist", please see attachment, the year was 1837.

John

William Seville, artist, of Manchester with no known connection to Gloucestershire has been discarded in favour of William Seville, clothier / gent of Bisley Gloucestershire as prime candidate for Scolastica's father.
Unlike the artist, the Glos William Seville had sisters Frances & Scholastica which would account for the naming of Rachel Coxhead's daughters.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 31 December 21 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Bigland's Memorial Inscriptions (a collection made during the 18thC by Ralph Bigland - there might be free images somewhere on the internet, but I can't find any) includes a transcript of a memorial inside All Saints, Bisley:

-    -     -
Arms; on a bend Three Owls

near this Place
lieth the body of
Scolastica Sevill the wife of
Mr William Sevill of Chalford
Bottom, who departed this Life
Jan. 18  175.. , aged 30 Years
Also, Two of their Children; namely
Samuel and Richard

Samuel died Aug. 20 1752
aged 13 months

Richard, Aug. 31 1752
aged 6 weeks

John, their son died Nov 9 1759
aged 6 years

-   -   -

Someone from that family, albeit a couple of generations down, might well consider themself to be a gentleman.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk