Author Topic: Family mystery re. Scholastica Seville (married name Randall)  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family mystery re. Scholastica Seville (married name Randall)
« Reply #45 on: Monday 10 January 22 16:13 GMT (UK) »
William SEVILL seems to buy wool from producers - and Sheep for wool etc. was a big industry around the area for many generations.

Offline annikethierry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 10 January 22 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all of you for all the extra data and documents. I'll be going through these in the coming days.

Capetown, I'm afraid Scholastica and Frances cannot be the same person, as we have a baptism certificate where they both appear as different daughters born of the same mother (Rachel/Rachael Coxhead) - see below.

And yes we have the marriage of William Seville and Scholastica Hopkins in Wiltshire, 1745 -thanks for the confirmation and extra information, hanes teulu !

Yes, Scholastica Hopkins appears to be the grandmother of the William Seville I was originally looking for. The tricky bit is there were a whole bunch of William Sevill(e)s before him, so I'm trying to sort those out.

For the moment, I have temporarily added these ancestors to my family tree, so I'm going through all the records to make sure I've got this right (see attached).

Scholastica was indeed a very rare name, but we have several of these going up the tree (see picture below), the most ancient one being Scholastica DAY, who died in 1748 in Swindon, Wiltshire. I'm still trying to find her own ancestors to see where this tradition of naming girls Scholastica came from.

Still no clue about Frances Chalestifor though, looks like that one will remain a mystery !

Let me know if you have any other ideas. And thanks again for all the brilliant discoveries !

Good evening,
Niki
PS I hope it's OK to post these small extracts as attached, otherwise let me know.

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 10 January 22 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I think Capetown was not suggesting that Frances & Scholestiva were the same person but that Frances's middle name was actually Scholastiva rather than Chalestifor-- so the two girls baptised at the same time were called Scholastiva and Frances Scholastiva

I can see that it is possible -- if you think of the Sch pronounced as "Sh"  rather than "Sk" then it would certainly sound similar to a soft "Ch" - say the two names quickly and they are very alike!

A priest that has never heard the name before made an attempt to spell it as he heard it and mangled it completely!
You already have several variations -Scholastica, Scholastiva, Scolastiva etc this is just a bit further out!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline annikethierry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 10 January 22 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marmalady,

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Sorry I had indeed misunderstood what Capetown meant.
I guess that is a possibility. You're probably both right, even if several of her relatives had the same name, it wasn't common, the spelling varies in the different records and the priest (an assistant curate in this case) probably misspelled it again. At least it's the most plausible explanation for the moment. So thanks a lot for your thoughts and investigation !!

Good evening,
Niki