Author Topic: Looking for origin Country for Peter Lunn (Lun, Lund, Luhn, Lunne) and wife.  (Read 20178 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for origin Country for Peter Lunn (Lun, Lund, Luhn, Lunne) and wife.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 15:08 GMT (UK) »

I am playing a hunch that it is some variation of Peter Nilsen Lundberg.

Peter might be Peter, Peder, Petter or Per
Nilsen might be Nilsen or Neilson
Lundberg could be Lunnberg, Lunberg, Lundberg

Born around 1769 to 1774 . I am starting search Norwegian records but as I only speak / read a very little Norwegian it is slow going.

Regards
Mark

Where does the Nilsen come from?  Perhaps I missed it somewhere in this thread
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Heathcote's Tiverton Mill 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for origin Country for Peter Lunn (Lun, Lund, Luhn, Lunne) and wife.
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Where does the Nilsen come from?  Perhaps I missed it somewhere in this thread

Sorry Bearkat, I did not say where Nilsen came from. Reading the link on the first reply that explains how  Norwegian names are made up, they are not hereditary until 1926. So there is a given name Peter, Petter, Peder or Per for example, a patronymic name in the form of father's given name with "sen" added or in the case of girls with "datter" added and a third part is a location which is changeable depending on where the person might consider home to be and could change in their life.  Lunn, Lund, Lunberg, Lundberg are such types of location name which might account for why Peter is flexible with it. The only hint of his patronymic name is on one of the wedding certificates of one of his children after his death. He gives his father's names as Peter Nelson Lunnberry. Of course the historic figure of Nelson is widely known after 1805 and it could be possible for someone to hear the names Nilsen or Neilsen perhaps and think they have heard the name Nelson. its a hunch based on this one reference and how Norwegian names should be structured.

Regards
Mark
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 16:35 GMT (UK) »
The only hint of his patronymic name is on one of the wedding certificates of one of his children after his death. He gives his father's names as Peter Nelson Lunnberry. Of course the historic figure of Nelson is widely known after 1805 and it could be possible for someone to hear the names Nilsen or Neilsen perhaps and think they have heard the name Nelson. its a hunch based on this one reference and how Norwegian names should be structured.

I know how Scandinavian names work, I was just missing the Peter Nelson Lunnberry bit.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Parish Register entry is for Thomas (George) Lunberry 12th April 1846 St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey to Ann Quick - Father Peter Nelson Lunberry.
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 15 January 22 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Please could I have opinions on the surname of this Marriage Witness?  At first glance I thought it was Thomas but I do not think that is correct. She could be a relation of the grooms mother if my hunch is correct.

https://we.tl/t-hy1RX6jmOR

I am not sure on how attachments work here these days so I have made a download link for a jpg file for a the relevant section of the image.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 15 January 22 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it's Thomas either but it's not easy to read.

Perhaps Thorns/Tharns/Thards  ???
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE