Author Topic: Death in Bombay India  (Read 659 times)

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Bombay India
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 December 21 07:25 GMT (UK) »
In 1916 Gertrude Leah Marchant is in Bombay India but has died of small pox. 

Can you find this lady on a passenger list anywhere to see if it helps?

I have searched the passenger lists but found nothing, they do not seem to show India. 
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 January 22 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry.com.au does show outwards passengers from England to India but I can't find either woman so far.
A scenario could be that Dorothy Gertrude meets her future husband and then with her mother they travel to India (between 1911 and 1912) to join him there and  marriage in 1919 ( Gertrude now deceased) Ignore the fact in 1911 she was a waitress; with Charles in an asylum she would need to take any work she could  find.
shume
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 January 22 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Re passenger lists from UK to India, bear in mind that many people preferred the quicker overland route by cross-channel ferry and train across France/Italy to a Mediterranean port, joining ship there. They won't appear on UK passenger lists.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 January 22 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry.com.au does show outwards passengers from England to India but I can't find either woman so far.
A scenario could be that Dorothy Gertrude meets her future husband and then with her mother they travel to India (between 1911 and 1912) to join him there and  marriage in 1919 ( Gertrude now deceased) Ignore the fact in 1911 she was a waitress; with Charles in an asylum she would need to take any work she could  find.
shume
Yes this had crossed my mind as well.  I have asked for the records of the asylum so may shed some light on it.  Thank you
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 January 22 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Re passenger lists from UK to India, bear in mind that many people preferred the quicker overland route by cross-channel ferry and train across France/Italy to a Mediterranean port, joining ship there. They won't appear on UK passenger lists.

Thank you.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 January 22 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is info re Robert Joseph Lynch, a Jockey who married Dorothy G. Marchant in Bombay 1919, in case you do not have

https://sites.google.com/site/jockeypedia/lynch-robert

Have failed to find the Marchants on ships lists, but as the son Charles James Marchant was only 14 when his mother died in India where was he?  Perhaps the 1921 census will help.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 January 22 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is info re Robert Joseph Lynch, a Jockey who married Dorothy G. Marchant in Bombay 1919, in case you do not have

https://sites.google.com/site/jockeypedia/lynch-robert

Have failed to find the Marchants on ships lists, but as the son Charles James Marchant was only 14 when his mother died in India where was he?  Perhaps the 1921 census will help.

Hi Spendlove
Yes I did find the info on jockeypedia very interesting.  In 1911 he was with his sister living at their grandmothers, so yes it will be interesting to see the 1921 census I am quite excited about it.  This has been a very interesting line to follow, as Charles Marchant was born in Eastbourne where I now live and also he was in the Springfield asylum in Wandsworth and I used to drive past it with my parents to visit my nan, I was always fascinated by it and a little scared. 

Spendlove
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker