Author Topic: John Rook of Froxfield and possibly son Thomas  (Read 253 times)

Offline CrystalPalace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Rook of Froxfield and possibly son Thomas
« on: Sunday 02 January 22 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone could look up the Baptism Index for  Thomas ROOK 1747 and the Marriage Index for John ROOK 1723 as the transcriptions I have found on Family Search are a bit confusing.

On Family Search I have found the marriage of Jno ROOKE at Froxfield on 23rd April 1723 but the bride's name is given as Argent UPSDEAL on 1 entry, the 2nd entry  shows the name as ***Ent UPSDEAL. What could this first name be?

I am also interested in Thomas RROOK but again from Family Search the transcription is confusing:
One result shows Thomas KOOK was baptised at Empshott on 16th June 1747 son of John and Elizabeth KOOK but a second result shows a Thomas ROOK baptised at Ewshott also 16th June 1747, son of John and Elizabeth! Empshott is quite close to Froxfield but Ewshott is I think in Surrey?

I was intending to  invest in  the Baptism and Marriage Indexes from HGS but will they be more accurate than FS or do I need  to go to Winchester and view the original parish register entries?

Many thanks

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Rook of Froxfield and possibly son Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 22 22:36 GMT (UK) »
These look like different interpretations of the parish register. Definitely worth a look at the original.  I think online sources are only transcriptions as are HGS cds.

I have an ancestor from Hampshire called Argentine.  Argent could be a variant but it's unusual hence the query about it.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk