Author Topic: 1921 census  (Read 20592 times)

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 census
« Reply #261 on: Sunday 09 January 22 14:57 GMT (UK) »
A case of "Brickbats & Bowkays" for the efforts of transcriber's and poster replies.
Why for instance are 'we' the subscriber's first & visitors next, submitting points which FindMyPast should have thought through and already uploaded the solutions? How to access institution multiple page information for instance. Excellent response post by the way from a non FindMyPast origin ie not their website.
Within this post itself there are a lot of miniscule 'wants' posted exclaiming that for them it is cheap. For others like myself there are loads and it is not cheap by any means. I would approve of blowing the trumpet for FindMyPast if the system was fair for all - at the very least a healthy bulk payment discount for 30 or 50 downloads of any category.
Whilst this is very much early days, again there has been plenty of time to get organised and think about faults which were raised in the past and Consult (note capital 'C') with normal researcher's and learn what they were expecting from this one. After all, nobody needs to line their pockets ahead of the bidding for the next licence to scan a census - do they!

Offline tdgower2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Sunday 09 January 22 15:13 GMT (UK) »
For my 3x Great Grandfather John Cook, the birthplace was transcribed Dublin, Ireland.
I then looked at the original image and it was obviously Dullingham, Cambridgeshire, where i knew he was born.
I know there are millions of returns to get through but i don't see how you can get them mixed up.
Gower, Barker, Mayhew, Blomfield - (Norfolk/Suffolk)
Cook, Carter, Smith, Musk, Moss, Staples, Sparkes, Lister, Woollard, Scrivener, Marsh, Arnold, Hazelwood- (Cambs/Suffolk)
Grimwood, Shinn, Fitches, Sustins, Harvey, Sangster, Capps, Blake, Kimmance, Rans, Watts, George, Denny- (Suffolk)
Fishburne, Bartram, Rix, Balls, Porter, Leach- (Norfolk) Slater, Forster (Co. Durham/Nbland)
Taylor, Element, Barnett- (Worcs) Colley, Dobson, Thornton, Priestman, Harper, Spence, Plewes, Mowthorpe (Yorks)

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Sunday 09 January 22 15:20 GMT (UK) »

You get an image of the page containing the name of the individual. There are images of additional material under the "Extra materials" link on the image viewing screen at FindMyPast. From there you should get the "Front" page which includes the address box, images of the cover and map etc.

Other pages for additional inmates etc. will be charged separately, but if you use the advanced search for the Piece number, RD, SD and ED numbers that can be found on the cover image, the search should return a list of all individuals at the institution.

For one I downloaded (Romford Union Workhouse) the address box on the front sheet had been left blank. I had to refer to the 1921 census documents on FindMyPast using the Piece and Enumeration District numbers from the cover image to find out which workhouse the images related to.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/1921-census---institutions-and-prisons

Note that many workhouses and other large institutions were allocated their own ED number, so if you know the Piece number and ED you can confirm the name of the institution directly with that information.

thanks phil57   :)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Sunday 09 January 22 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Copper1,
Not one of us needs any 1921 census entry.
We can choose to go without if we don't feel its good value.

And for the record, FindMyPast did Consult their users regarding 1921 access.
They then made a business decision as to what would be an appropriate charge
Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Sunday 09 January 22 20:27 GMT (UK) »
This tells you how to report transcription errors without having purchased the transcript.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/articles/4415870561041-how-was-the-1921-census-transcribed-

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Sunday 09 January 22 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jay, most helpful, but Pauline that was a rather unfriendly response from a stalwart on the forum. I feel a little humility would not go unrewarded in heaven.
Bless all those who try to aid enquiring members also passing through this life but once.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Sunday 09 January 22 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Think that is a bit much. Having replied and assisted with a few or your queries both before and since release it has to be said that one does get an impression of someone striving to find fault
ie not their website
There are flaws in the transcriptions that let the release down (or the matching of the place to a county - there are two fields for birth place and address if report an error on say 1911) but I really can't fault the digitisation, presentation, information and advice provided and all there if one looks first and asks second before making a public statement that they have been remiss on those aspects. Thanks JayG had not seen that one.
For me it would certainly be more convenient if Ancestry had won the tender and contract as my tree is there but I suspect they would run roughshod over everything as is their norm and get their developers back to DNA asap. There would still have been charges and defects.

Offline Pamela21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Monday 10 January 22 10:50 GMT (UK) »
To Research Ruth - Post 225
I have just read this nonsense and can say how strongly I disagree with your sentiments. The replies you received on this thread have said it all. Why should you have it free when the very act of transcribing the 1921 Census took years to do and millions of pounds. Family history is a hobby and most hobbies cost money. If you don't like it then wait until it becomes available on subscription. Your complaint is absolute nonsense and I hope you get the reply you deserve.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Monday 10 January 22 12:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm fed up with the 1921 census already! Not the census itself but the number of people complaining about having to pay for it and moaning about the transcriptions.

Genealogy is a hobby and as such I expect to pay for it, in much the same way I would expect to pay for other hobbies. Why would anyone expect a commercial company, who has spent millions on repairing, transcribing and digitising documents, then to allow free access? If they, or another company, hadn't taken on the contract we wouldn't be able to see the 1921 census today - as a lot of it was damaged I doubt if the National Archives would have allowed access. Even if they had, it would only be available to the few who could get to Kew, rather than to the millions all over the world who can now view it from the comfort of their homes.

Strange as well that the people moaning about the transcriptions are the same people who are putting clips on genealogical sites asking for words to be read! Often when that happens you get several suggestions as to what it says - no wonder a person transcribing had problems.

Please stop complaining and be grateful that we are able to see the 1921 census. If you really object to paying, just use the search facility for now and  wait a few more years, when it will probably be included on different sites as part of the subscription.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk