Author Topic: 1921 census  (Read 20589 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 census
« Reply #342 on: Sunday 30 January 22 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Latest find has thrown up a rather sad story

My great uncle William Henry Pullen ‘Will’ I knew had passed the latter years of his life in mental institutions.
My aunt knew a bit more and said that after he married, he had 2 children. I never managed to find them.
Now I find him in1921 in what became Ashford Hospital, previously part of the Poor Law setup.
He remained there until 1939 at least and was later at Tooting Bec mental hospital.

Now I found his wife and all became clear.
She had two children by a previous marriage, and one by Will, just 7 months old when her father was institutionalised.
Research into husband no 1, found they married in1912, had two children, husband Thomas died in 1915 just before his son was born. So Margaret the wife had lost one husband to the war and another to Mental illness, the kids too, losing father/stepfather. All very sad

This sad tale just got worse.
I had only looked for the youngest, the daughter of Will on Ancestry in the 1939. Looked on Findmypast and there she was.
Botley's Park Colony for Mental Defectives. Somehow she was my hope for better times for the family, it was a real blow. Maybe gt some bad genes from Dad.

Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: Sunday 30 January 22 14:32 GMT (UK) »
? How do I mark this so that I don't get it popping up any longer? I thought I'd done it with "un-notify" a week or so ago, but it seemed to take no notice - and now that option no longer seems there?
Tried again - hope it manages it this time
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Monday 20 March 23 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I hate the way that FindMyPast make you subscribe and then pay extra for every Census entry that you view! The address details are normally on the previous page, luckily they don't make you pay again to view it.
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: Monday 20 March 23 15:03 GMT (UK) »
They may be trying to recoup the costs it took to get the 1921 census online. I remember how the 1939 register was not included in regular subs on FindMyPast for a while.

I am just grateful the 1921 census is online, and do not mind having to pay individually to view a record of my ancestors.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Razzle Dazzle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: Monday 20 March 23 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I agree that initially I thought it was pricey but when I looked at it in more detail I felt the price was justified. For me I was selective in those I paid for and tried to be as sure as I could that the entries I was paying for were the correct ones. As it turns out they were and there was some information in the entries I got that I have not seen anywhere else and made me quite sad and wanting to know more.   

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: Monday 20 March 23 15:22 GMT (UK) »
GuyMassey - it depends on which subscription you have taken.  I don't have to pay for individual 1921 census entries as I have the Premium package, which suits my needs.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: Monday 20 March 23 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Like Gadget, I also have the Premium package, it is well worth it to have access to everything.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: Monday 20 March 23 16:17 GMT (UK) »
And I've just been hammering the 1921* (getting my money's worth) chasing my 1C2R descendants. She had 10 children and they seemed to all have many children and located everywhere!!!

* and the other records that are not available on the competition.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: Monday 20 March 23 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I hate the way that FindMyPast make you subscribe and then pay extra for every Census entry that you view! The address details are normally on the previous page, luckily they don't make you pay again to view it.

I go to my library where access is FREE  :)    Hint* since the '21 was released over a year ago FindMyPast now offer subscriptions to libraries and other institutions. I would strongly suggest people check with their local library in case they have paid for an upgrade to their subscription package.

CD