Author Topic: Dictionary of Yorkshire Surnames  (Read 1013 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dictionary of Yorkshire Surnames
« on: Thursday 06 January 22 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone a copy of, or access to "A Dictionary of Yorkshire Surnames" by George Redmonds? I can buy a copy at £50, but it's quite a lot to spend out of my Christmas present vouchers on the offchance that it has anything useful on the handfull of names I am looking at. I would be particularly interested to know what it has to say on the names Scatchard/Scatcherd, Dennison, I'anson, Allot, Appleyard, and Weatherill.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dictionary of Yorkshire Surnames
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 22 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the general on-line surname database -- may just help.

https://www.surnamedb.com
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 22 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, Pennines. Yes, I have used surnamedb, and whilst it was free for a brief period, the Oxford Dictionary of Surnames. Surnamedb is quite descriptive, but I find short on facts. The Oxford site was good when free, with facts that bear further investigation, but now requires a purchase or subscription (The book itself is £216. I suppose I could get my local library to get a copy, though). I was hoping that a more focussed piece of research, i.e. Yorkshire surnames specifically, might prove to to be a better informed source. If there is a general consensus that this is a useful reference, I might just acquire a copy for my needs. That also now depends on how many vouchers I get for a certain well-known internet site for my birthday  ;D
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 January 22 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Oh -- what a good idea about the vouchers! I hope you are dropping loads of hints.

Happy, Happy Birthday when it arrives -- and wishing you success in obtaining just what you want. XX
Places of interest;

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 22 16:13 GMT (UK) »
On order  :D :D

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 22 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant news mezentia --- I note the name I'anson in your initial post - I can't imagine that would originally be from Yorkshire.

I used to have a work colleague with that surname actually. It always sounded 'posh'!
Places of interest;

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 22 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I'll look it up and let you know :D

Now to get A treatise on Testamants and Last Wills by Henry Swinburne. Only 3 volumes.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 January 22 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Interesting that, with the exception of one name (l'Anson), the others have Adel parish in common. A place I know very well.

https://www.freereg.org.uk/freereg_contents/5409cc3eeca9ebd28e07801d/unique_church_names?locale=en

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 January 22 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Well you have an interesting taste in reading matter mezentia!

Hillhurst - thank you for the link - it was fascinating to see the number of surnames which originated from place names (you know - those who obtained a surname when moving OUT of their original settlement centuries ago and were given their previous settlement name in their new abode, to differentiate from others with the same christian name).

There were several Yorkshire areas - AND really close areas around Leeds - but also Lancashire ones, Blackburn, Preston etc.

In my ancestry, I have Illingworths AND Blackburns (often spelt Blegbourn - how it was probably pronounced).
Places of interest;