Author Topic: James Scott born 1845, may have died 1924  (Read 245 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
James Scott born 1845, may have died 1924
« on: Saturday 08 January 22 13:50 GMT (UK) »
James Scott was baptised in the parish of Panbride, Angus on 29 June 1845, parents James Scott and Isabella Bisset.

On 14 December 1866 he married Ann Stewart or Thomson, also born 1845, giving his occupation as Seaman, Merchant Service. They had seven children, all born in Carnoustie, parish of Barry, Angus.

James is not at home with his family in any census from 1871 to 1901. In 1891 his wife is described as 'Captain's wife'.

In 1911 James (68) and Ann (65) are living in Shipley, Sussex. I read the name of the house as 'Honey poles' and FindMyPast reads it as 'Mill House'(!). James is described as 'Naval Pensioner'.

One of his sons died in Edinburgh and the death certificate describes James simply as 'Seaman' (and gives his name as William, which is unhelpful). Two of his daughters died in England, so their death certificates won't be any use.

I don't know what became of the other four children (Isabella Millar b 1867, James b 1872,  Elizabeth b 1875 and William Sturrock b 1879) except that one of them died before the 1911 census but not, it seems, in Scotland.

I think James died in 1924 in Horsham and his wife in 1938 in Tonbridge, but I have not found any grant of probate or newspaper announcement to verify this.

Is it reasonable to suppose that he transferred at some point to the Royal Navy, and if so how do I home in on his service records, given that there seem to be large numbers of James Scotts listed in the indexes at FindMyPast, and that he doesn't seem to be listed in The National Archives? 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Scott born 1845, may have died 1924
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 January 22 14:34 GMT (UK) »
You most probably have checked this marriage for Isabella Scott
Bella Scott
Archibald Martin
1891 Barry Angus

1891 Census they are living with Archibalds  parents at Clayholes Farm Barry Angus
1901 Census still at Clayholes Farm
1911 They are in Horsham Sussex

Death for a Isabella M S Martin
1915 Horsham Sussex
Age 48 years

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 January 22 15:21 GMT (UK) »
There is a Dorset England Crew list you might want to check 2 January1899
James Scott age 51 can't make out the birth place ( master )
On same ship is a William Scot age 19 born Carnoustie ( A B)

Ship Dee
Might be a possibility

There are records for a William Sturrock Scott in ww1 Australian and New Zealand service records .said he was in the Naval Reserve for 5 years
Gives his date of birth as 8 April 1880 Carnoustie

Also in the Police Gazette 1925 (breach of peace )

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 January 22 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Findagrave has death for William Sturrock Scott
March 1960
New South Wales Australia

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 22 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Rosie, that all looks promising.

Though I had already looked at some Australian records for William and didn't think he was 'mine'. He gave his 'Next of Kin' as George Smart, a cousin, in New Zealand, and I cannot find the connection with this George Smart.

Also he gave his mother's name as Mary Ann Thompson whereas she was actually Ann Stewart or Scott. Ann's mother was Mary Thomson, who died in 1891. I have just this afternoon found that Ann Scott was living in Horsham in 1911 and that in 1921 she was suddenly Mary Ann, living in Worthing with William's sister Beatrice ???
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.