Author Topic: What happened to Peter Peddie?  (Read 17694 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Peter Peddie?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 January 22 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Did the kirk session say anything about the birth of her first child to John Stewart?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 January 22 13:26 GMT (UK) »
The Forfar Kirk Session records do not appear to be extant.

That is, they're not on SP, or in the NRS, SCAN or NRAS catalogues, or in Angus Archives.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 January 22 16:38 GMT (UK) »
It is worth having a look at the newspapers and NRS catalogue for Peter Peddie. There are different people of this name, however this may all refer to the same man.

In 1809, "Peter Peddie, horse-dealer at the Gibbet Toll [/Brae], near Edinburgh ... with a wife and large family" was to be tried for rape, but did not appear at his trial and was put to the horn.

In 1814, a prisoner on trial for uttering counterfeit notes mentioned a £5 note he had borrowed from "Peter Peddie, horse-dealer in Edinburgh".

In 1843 the NRS catalogue mentions a precognition against Alexander Peddie, son of Peter Peddie, horse dealer, Castle Wynd, Edinburgh, for theft, habit and repute.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 January 22 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks GR2.

If the age of the PP who died in 1847 is correct, these must be a different PP.

There is, however a horse dealer named Peter Peddie in Castle Wynd, Edinburgh in 1841 aged 30, who could be the one who died in 1847 aged 35, but could not be the one in 1809 or 1814. In 1841 he is with a 14-year-old Janet Peddie, who I expect was his sister? Janet Peddie, daughter of Peter Peddie and Agnes Bell, was baptised in Edinburgh on 28 October 1825.

There are several reports of the putative suicide of Peter Peddie, comedian, found dead in a lodging house in Glasgow in 1857, but I can't find a death certificate. Even if I could it would not help because in 1857 death certificates did not name the spouse of the deceased.

However his wife says in 1851 that she is married, and in 1861 that she is widowed, so this could be the one I am looking for. But that wouldn't explain why Mary's granddaughter said he was a horse dealer, or where he was in 1851. ???
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 January 22 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Further info re the horse dealer Peter

7 January 1833
John SHAW, feuar and portioner, Portobello   Pursuer re Payment against Peter PEDDIE, horse dealer, Grange Loan, Edinburgh   Case reference SC39/8/17   

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 January 22 18:07 GMT (UK) »
In Glasgow on 25th August 1815 Peter Peddie a Portmanteau Manufacturer was admitted to the Hammermen of Glasgow Craft Guild.

PS I also have a connection to the Peddies but it is through William Peddie from Dunbartonshire who married my great x2 great aunt. Most of that branch ended up in Canada

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 January 22 18:22 GMT (UK) »
In Glasgow on 25th August 1815 Peter Peddie a Portmanteau Manufacturer was admitted to the Hammermen of Glasgow Craft Guild.

PS I also have a connection to the Peddies but it is through William Peddie from Dunbartonshire who married my great x2 great aunt. Most of that branch ended up in Canada
Thanks, Falkyrn. That looks interesting. It certainly fits the occupation in the marriage record.

I also have other Peddie connections, mostly via two sons of James Peddie (1798-1885), Writer to the Signet, and Margaret Dick, of Edinburgh. I'd be more than a little surprised if they turn out to be related to PP. Both were the offspring of Dissenting ministers!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 January 22 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian  :)

There are a number of similar references to Peter Peddies as mentioned above here https://www.oldscottish.com/sheriff-court-extract-decrees-index-john-niven-archibald-ritchie.html mentioning all likely candidates being discussed: trunkmaker, horse dealer and comedian!

There is a middle name given for comedian Peter which may (or may not  ::)) help determining who he was:

Peter Hamilton PEDDIE, comedian, Queens Theatre, London, formerly Theatre Royal, Edinburgh, currently prisoner in Calton Jail, Edinburgh - 5 June 1837

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 January 22 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Monica. I'll look into those, and especially the trunk maker, as that is less than a year after PP married Mary Thomson.