Author Topic: Is this the same person? (Photos from 1979 and c1940s) Grandmother Monckton  (Read 1093 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this the same person? (Photos from 1979 and c1940s) Grandmother Monckton
« on: Saturday 08 January 22 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm trying to determine whether the girl in this photo from sometime in the 1940s (exact year unknown) is my grandmother. I've attached a composite comparison image below.

My grandmother was born in 1929 and I would estimate that the girl in the older photo would be around mid-to-late teens, maybe early twenties at a push. The location is correct, being taken on Medley's Farm, Pattingham, Staffs. which was the village where she lived at the time.

Things I think are in favour of it being the same person: same chin/jawline, same or similar nose, similar forehead and (maybe) eyebrows.

Things I'm not 100% sure about: the eyes - though I think the glasses may be distorting them slightly in the later picture.

Any thoughts would be gratefully accepted!  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the same person? (Photos from 1979 and c1940s) Grandmother Monckton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 22 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I think it is highly likely that they are the same person, they have the same shaped face and share other facial features.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 January 22 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I too have no doubt it's the same person.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 January 22 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Another vote for the same person  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 January 22 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I was fairly certain this was a picture of my grandmother - but then I became less sure. It's a new photo to the family and mum and I spent a good long time poring over it. I think if you look at a picture long enough you can start talking yourself out of things you're fairly sure you can see!

The full photo can be seen here on the Staffs Past Track website (as the photo is in a collection and not owned by me I wasn't sure about posting it directly). I don't know if there are any clues to narrow down a particular date - Past Track gives a fairly wide possible range of 1940-1949.

Given other details in my family tree, I'd say it's very unlikely to be the tail-end of the 40s - say 1947 or onwards. I don't know if there's a way to tell if this picture was taken either during the war or in the post-war period.

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 January 22 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I'd have to say not the same person, the nose and hair parting are wrong. Also the girl is reasonably young in the 1940s picture and is a lot more than 40 years older in the 1979 picture.
However if you go back to the original 1940s picture, she looks very similar to the lady at the back left, nose and hair are a better match, even the bit of ear poking out from under her hair.
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 January 22 20:38 GMT (UK) »
ohbodder~

Younger woman would be around  late teens early 20s. born 1929

Older woman   crca early 50- ish   (1929-79)

THe woman that you've identified has a shorter chin. the two shown have similar sized ones. also the 1979 lady has a perm. The lady you've identified (back left) has naturally curl hair. Cheek bones and nose are very similar.*

* I mean between the two in the composite photo
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 January 22 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I understand what you are saying ohbodder. I think the woman you have identified could be related as there are some similarities, but I think the young girl and older woman are one and the same.  :)

At first glance I would have suggested the older woman is around 70, but her skin looks firm so I just think the hair colour and glasses make her look older in that photo.  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 January 22 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I am still of the same opinion.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU