Author Topic: Remaining options  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Tankflyboss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Remaining options
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 10:17 GMT (UK) »
1891 census:
Dennis Gallacher, 35 yrs b Ireland is living in a lodging house in Uphall, West Lothian.

It may not be the same Denis as 1901 but it could mean that the 1901 is not your man.

It could yeah but strange why there's an entry on the 1901 for a Dennis Gallagher in Craiglockhart then a death cert for a Dennis Galocher in Craiglockhart in 1902.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes that would seem to be the same person - both ‘single’ status.

I am just pointing the other one out for reference. He could be a man who travelled around seeking work. The two places are only 14 miles or so apart.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tankflyboss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes that would seem to be the same person - both ‘single’ status.

I am just pointing the other one out for reference. He could be a man who travelled around seeking work. The two places are only 14 miles or so apart.

No your quite right, everything is worth exploring. We were always told that Dennis died in a poorhouse 2 years after landing in Scotland and was ill so I reckon the guy in Craiglockhart is him.

I know stories are all well and good and it's evidence I need to follow but I just wondered what my options are now? I don't know their townland or parish unfortunately. The surname Devlin is a clue but that name is very rare in Glenties, I found it in parishes near Glenties but generally its found further north in Donegal.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you done these suggestions

write out a list of the children of the couple who married in Scotland in 1909.
The Irish did have a naming pattern and you can go through these and work out which family (husband or wife) may have contributed the names.

Checked Griffiths Valuation for mentions of Gallagher/Devlin

Checked the Irish Census for mentions of Devlin & Gallagher. While this part of the family may have moved to Scotland it does not mean all of them did.  I usually search after switching to the age tab and look at the oldest ones first. If you have a list of what might be family names it is good to run through these

Even though you may feel the family came from Glenties, this might have been the nearest 'larger' town and they may have come from townlands on the outskirts

This site is worth having a poke around in
http://donegalgenealogy.com/

Even though the name is Gallagher, not all the records may have this spelling.  If the name is pronounced with a soft second G you might find records in the names Gallaher etc. 

Find every Irish/general website you can and put in the names without limiting it to Donegal. Names and dates.
Family search
Ancestry
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
RC Parish registers from PRONI

Start by extracting as much information as you can from the records you have
eg really interrogating the marriage certificate and death certificate for the 1909 people

Be aware also that if a person said they were of full age or that their parents had died this was not necessarily a fact.  Under age marriages often had to get parental consent and sometimes it was easier to say that you were either of full age, even though you were not, or that both parents had died, even though they had not.  I have found this happening on at least two other searches I have been involved with and found either
a) they were not of full age
b) the parent was still alive. 

When recording from certificates you are certain of  write down every name that appears so that means witnesses and those who report the death. 
I usually keep these on spreadsheet called   'XXXXXX family mentions'

I record the names and where I got them from and periodically reorder the column headings
So the witnesses to the wedding may later be a sponsor/god parent to a child. 

One of the key things is to put the names of all your key people into every register you come across.  So Dog registers, reports of trials etc

Be aware that there was much movement between Donegal and Derry.  So search in registers to do with both Counties.

Family Stories often contain a kernel/s of truth.  Often though, like history being written by the winners, they can serve the interests of those telling the story. In my own family my gt grandfather was adamant he was the only child.....strange then to find a brother born to the same parents and bearing the unusual first name of one of my gt Uncles. 

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 January 22 05:06 GMT (UK) »

People here are trying to help you. The only information you are giving is repeated family stories.

You are not parting with good information, recorded on legal documents, that you have ie marriage and death certificate. You are just passing on pieces of information, selected because you think that is the only useful information from these sources.

Please list every detail on the marriage certificate, and death certificate that you have.

Do not amend, enhance, abbreviate anything....just what you see.......all of it.

Addresses are important because you can you can search newspapers of the time for any mention of people or events at the same address.

It would be useful to know if John GALLAGHER and Catherine KELLY married in a church, and what denomination.

Use Scotlandspeople to look for baptism records for the children of your John and Catherine.

Catholic baptisms will record names of godparents, and are often close family.

What children do you have for John GALLAGHER and Catherine KELLY?

Where and when were these children born?

When and where did John GALLAGHER die?  Where is he buried?

Was Catherine still alive when husband John GALLAGHER died?

Have you looked at the Scotland 1911 census to see your GALLAGHER family?

Census can be accessed through Scotlandspeople.

Did John GALLAGHER enlist for war service 1914+.

Offline Tankflyboss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 13 January 22 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you done these suggestions

write out a list of the children of the couple who married in Scotland in 1909.
The Irish did have a naming pattern and you can go through these and work out which family (husband or wife) may have contributed the names.

Checked Griffiths Valuation for mentions of Gallagher/Devlin

Checked the Irish Census for mentions of Devlin & Gallagher. While this part of the family may have moved to Scotland it does not mean all of them did.  I usually search after switching to the age tab and look at the oldest ones first. If you have a list of what might be family names it is good to run through these

Even though you may feel the family came from Glenties, this might have been the nearest 'larger' town and they may have come from townlands on the outskirts

This site is worth having a poke around in
http://donegalgenealogy.com/

Even though the name is Gallagher, not all the records may have this spelling.  If the name is pronounced with a soft second G you might find records in the names Gallaher etc. 

Find every Irish/general website you can and put in the names without limiting it to Donegal. Names and dates.
Family search
Ancestry
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
RC Parish registers from PRONI

Start by extracting as much information as you can from the records you have
eg really interrogating the marriage certificate and death certificate for the 1909 people

Be aware also that if a person said they were of full age or that their parents had died this was not necessarily a fact.  Under age marriages often had to get parental consent and sometimes it was easier to say that you were either of full age, even though you were not, or that both parents had died, even though they had not.  I have found this happening on at least two other searches I have been involved with and found either
a) they were not of full age
b) the parent was still alive. 

When recording from certificates you are certain of  write down every name that appears so that means witnesses and those who report the death. 
I usually keep these on spreadsheet called   'XXXXXX family mentions'

I record the names and where I got them from and periodically reorder the column headings
So the witnesses to the wedding may later be a sponsor/god parent to a child. 

One of the key things is to put the names of all your key people into every register you come across.  So Dog registers, reports of trials etc

Be aware that there was much movement between Donegal and Derry.  So search in registers to do with both Counties.

Family Stories often contain a kernel/s of truth.  Often though, like history being written by the winners, they can serve the interests of those telling the story. In my own family my gt grandfather was adamant he was the only child.....strange then to find a brother born to the same parents and bearing the unusual first name of one of my gt Uncles.

Thanks very much, some very helpful suggestions.

Just a couple of questions - how accurate is Griffiths? Can we be certain everyone was registered on it?

How do i reach the PRONI records?

Thank you!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 January 22 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you will have to wait until 1921 census is published later this year. There might be information re John’s birth.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tankflyboss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 13 January 22 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you will have to wait until 1921 census is published later this year. There might be information re John’s birth.

Yeah I was hoping there might be parish info recorded on the 1921 Scottish census.

I see there is also a project to recreate Irelands census records called beyond 22. Hopefully they will have the 1891 and 1881 censuses.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 January 22 10:48 GMT (UK) »

I see there is also a project to recreate Irelands census records called beyond 22. Hopefully they will have the 1891 and 1881 censuses.

https://beyond2022.ie/

The censuses for 1881 and 1891 were pulped during the First World War, probably because of the paper shortage.

See: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/history.html

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo