Author Topic: Missing Person - found  (Read 2048 times)

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Missing Person - found
« on: Sunday 09 January 22 13:38 GMT (UK) »
First of all, this is not a look up REQUEST.  I've been happily finding all my ancestors on the 1921 census - bar one.  My grandmother.  I've located her mother, and all of her siblings, in case she was staying with them.  But to no avail.  I'm wondering if anybody has any idea on alternative methods/ideas of locating her.

Kathleen Alice Margueritte Carlyon.  But known as Daisy, and she is Daisy on the 1911 Census.  b. 1901 in Hackney. Unmarried.  Her mother an younger sister are at 69 Clifton Road on the 1921 census, and its where I expected to find her.  I've tried all combinations I can think of.

As the census was taken in June, I wondered if perhaps she was away on holiday.  But wasn't sure if  Europe was in a fit state to holiday in so soon after the war.  If she had gone to visit the war graves of her two brothers, she would have taken her mother.  So I'm dubious that was a reason for her absence alone.

I am aware of the copyright issues on 1921, so I repeat this is not a look up request.  But any pointers I could follow up would be gratefully received.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Person
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 22 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I know you said this is not a look up request - but she has an unusual surname - subject to mistranscription.

Just try Kathleen Car* (ie a wild card after the first 3 letters) -- you may find her with just her initials showing for her second and third forenames.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Person - Found!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 January 22 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pennines. 

I followed your advice, and found her!

Transcribed as Carhgon instead of Carlyon.  And she used Clopton, London instead of Hackney as place of birth - which had been transcribed as Clapton. 

I'm a happy bunny now.  Many thanks for your input.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Person
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 January 22 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I am so pleased -- she is the one I saw and I did wonder if it might be her (but of course it might not have been!!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Person - Found!
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 January 22 15:30 GMT (UK) »

Transcribed as Carhgon instead of Carlyon.  And she used Clopton, London instead of Hackney as place of birth - which had been transcribed as Clapton. 

I thought it was Clapton, not Clopton  :-\
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapton,_London
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk