Author Topic: Clare Family  (Read 3868 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clare Family
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 21:48 GMT (UK) »

So to confirm, the link must start at "Henry Clare" & "Charlotte Elizabeth Seabrook" due to the DNA lines I have... I think.  I will do a quick diagram to explain later today; I have many links through Clare and one via Seabrook - I would like to see more with Seabrook to be sure that isn't coincidental but is all I have at this time

"Henry Clare" & "Charlotte Elizabeth Seabrook" would have both have been in their 70s when Peggy was born so very unlikely to be her parents.  More likely to be one of their Children or Grand Children.

So the plan is now to better map out the next generation after "Henry Clare" & "Charlotte Elizabeth Seabrook".  I have zero information about James Mellows McDonald (married to Charlotte Clare) or William Stephenson (married to Harriet Sarah Clare) - I have both McDonald & Stephenson surnames in my DNA results, but nothing in New Zealand so need to work back a couple of generations to see if there is an actual link.

I have done a little work on this going forward from the NZ resident Clare/Seabrook couple.
So you do not need to go to trees I worked from the death certificate of Charlotte Elizabeth (from the probate) and the list of children born from the NZ BDM supplied by Mckha. 

From the death certificate 
children of the Clare/Seabrook NZ couple alive in 1912

female 49
male 48
male 45  George
female 42 
female 35
female 31 Edith Alice  marr Charles Herbert DOBSON 1902
female 27  Florence marr Linton Charles PIMM 1908

It could be one of these (above) or their children who could be the parent of Peggy

So it will be the children of the ones who died before 1912 who may have been a parent of Margaret/Peggy in 1914. 

Caroline Esther died young.

I suggest we try to find the names for the ones alive in 1912.

Their marriages and children

Then the marriages and g/children and deaths of the children who died pre 1912. 

Re the Seabrook side. Do you have the parents of Charlotte Elizabeth Seabrook Clare,  from a copy of her marriage certificate please.

NZ being a small place the Seabrook name is around in Auckland from my memory.  They may have been spurred on to emigrate by good reports from other Seabrook family or connections.  But searching for  Seabrook siblings for Charlotte in England will be a good move. 

I have these marriages to be checked
1897 Clara  to Thomas Richard James
1890 George Clare to Eliza McBratney

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Clara died in 1906 and Daughter Dorothy in 1902

The others are too young.

1899/15763   James   Muriel Elizabeth   Clara   Thomas   
1901/19107   James   Dorothy Irene   Clara   Thomas Richard
1900/13677   James   Cyril Henry Baden   Clara   Thomas Richard   
1904/22389   James   Llewellyn   Clara   Thomas Richard   
1903/20244   James   Pearl Alexander   Clara   Thomas Richard

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 23:36 GMT (UK) »
George’s children

1898/12049   Clare   George Stanley Gordon   Eliza   George
1891/3100   Clare   Lyla Winifred Eliza   Eliza   George
1905/6776   Clare   Lionel Louis Philip   Eliza   George

Lyla’s marriages

1923/3203   Lyla Winifred Eliza   Clare   Ralph   Rennett
1913/5019   Lyla Winifred Eliza   Clare   Ernest Vernon   Arbuckle

So descendants of George can I think be ruled out.

Charlotte had none.

Offline Tinmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Pretty sure there was a Clare family in Waituna West (near Fielding)  and some buried at Waituna West Cemetery which you'll find on Findagrave

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Tinmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 22:32 GMT (UK) »
You're  a gem, thank you.

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Dnallov,

It occurs to me that there IS a possible paper route to locate Peggy Richard’s’ biological mother.

1) You note that in Census 1921, Peggy’s birthplace is given as Isleworth (Middx).

2) What was the street address of Frank & Florence in the census?

3) From FreeBmd, the Hale/Richards marriage was at Uxbridge (Middx) in Q3, 1913.

4) Note both known locations in Middlesex; is street address also in Middlesex?

One hundred years ago, childbirth outside of marriage carried a lot of stigma, and many unmarried women would give up their baby for adoption.

5) If we assume that the birthdate of 20-Nov-14 is true and that the mother named her daughter Margaret, we can enter search parameters into FreeBmd to locate possible birth mothers. This is possible because an illegitimate child will be registered with the same surname as the mother.
A search of FreeBmd for,

sex: female
start date: Q1, 1913
end date : Q4, 1915
County: Middlesex
First name: Margaret

finds about 2230 matches.
Inspection to find the same surname for mother and child gives only a few hits.

Q1, 1913: Edginton; Mason
Q2, 1913: Dennis; Elworthy; Holland; Lightfoot*; Murphy; Storey
Q3, 1913: Haines; Hall(s); Julian; McCabe; Reade; Singleton*;
Q4, 1913: Hurcomb; Lockwood; Skates; Startin
Q1, 1914: Brock; Butcher*; Curtis*; Dowling; Hager; Welfare; Wolstenholme
Q2, 1914: Bullock; Dean; Erith; Glaysher; Meadowcroft; Sawyer; Smith
Q3, 1914: Black*; Davies*; Duncan; O'Connell; Soer; Vale
Q4, 1914: Black*; Chapman; Curley; Goldsworthy; Miller; Peacock; Penn; Savage; Smith; Winton
Q1, 1915: Brown; Connolly; Edwards; Godbeer; Lloyd; Lutt*; McCarthy; Millington; Parry; Wallis
Q2, 1915: Bedford; Coe; Harragan; Hawley; Herd; Lockstone; Mayers; Morrell; Scase; Walker
Q3, 1915: Banks; Brophy; Dodd; Fagan; Faithfull; Fitzgibbons; Knowles; Milting
Q4, 1915: Barnes; Botten; Dollery*; Rees; Spurgeon

where Name* = registered in Brentford, but cannot for the life of me remember why I thought that Brentford is important!!!  Ah yes, close to Isleworth where they are living in 1921.

Peggy Richards' birthday is given as 20-Nov-14, which is Q4, 1914; illegitimate births for Q4, 1914 are given below,

Q4, 1914: Black*; Chapman; Curley; Goldsworthy; Miller; Peacock; Penn; Savage; Smith; Winton.

Now only 10 lines to check, so should keep you off the streets for a while.

Good Luck,

JMB

Ballard/Hew/Mitchell/Mountcastle/Palmer/Spicer/White

Offline Koroforo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there... so I came across this thread while trying to solve a mystery of my own in my family tree and strangely I can fill in some of the gaps here particularly concerning Charlotte Clare and James Mellows McDonald. The following is direct quote from a journal on family history my grandmother wrote:

"In 1929 I was born - my father registered my birth completely forgetting the names both my parents had picked out and named me Gertrude Ruth McNeil the same as my mother.
My mother's mother's maiden name was Clare (Her Christian name was Charlotte) She came to N. Z. when she was 3 1/2 yrs old. They (her parents + siblings landed in Lyttleton & settled in Christchurch where her father worked for the council.
A story granny told us of her girlhood - her father was very strict but every-so-often he had to work the night cart shift. When this happened her mother let granny & her sisters go to a dance without him knowing about it.
On the way home they saw the night cart - all the men were collecting the night-soil cans. So the girls shut the lids and hid behind a hedge.
Their father came out and emptied the can not noticing the lid was shut, jamming his fingers. He swore and put his fingers in his mouth & then started spitting.
The girls crept home thoroughly pleased with themselves.

Granny married a Scotsman who had jumped ship in Lyttleton & when it became obvious that granny wasn't going to have children they adopted my mother. But from some things Granny said I suspect she was really one of the family. (these things were well hidden in 1900) They remove to the McKenzie Country & after a few years they came to Hawkes Bay."

The story above is about Charlotte Clare her parents Charlotte Elizabeth Clare (nee. Seabrook) and Henry Clare (with the night cart), her husband James Mellows McDonald and their daughter, my great grandmother (who was adopted) Gertrude Ruth McNeil (nee. McDonald - later married a Beeson). I was able to confirm the connection from my great grandmother to Charlotte Clare and James Mellows McDonald from NZ electoral rolls that clearly show both James and Charlotte living in the same address in Hawkes Bay that Gertrude Ruth Beeson lived in once they had both passed. All my family come from Hawke's Bay in New Zealand. The mystery for me was who my great grandmothers real parents were... I haven't done any kinda of DNA research and am not sure which would be best... I am open to suggestions. Also was so happy to find this thread which has already helped me patch a few gaps in my own family tree research and start to work out some of the missing pieces. The date I have for my great grandmother's birthday is   January 27 1899 (not sure how I came to that, and may be off someone else's  flawed tree, though I do know she was born very close to the turn of the century). I haven't ever been able to find anything else except that her parents were Charlotte Clare and James Mellows McDonald who couldn't have kids of their own and didn't raise any other children. Seems unusual and perhaps not a coincidence that there would be two adoption mysterys in the same family around the same people... I know I'm a little late to this, and very new to this website, but eagerly await any new revelations that may come with this info. Hope this can help the OP and also gives a little insight in to another time. Thanks guys. Hope to hear back soon.

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 17 September 23 01:42 BST (UK) »
The mystery for me was who my great grandmothers real parents were...   

The date I have for my great grandmother's birthday is   January 27 1899 (not sure how I came to that, and may be off someone else's  flawed tree, though I do know she was born very close to the turn of the century).

Hello ... and welcome to RootsChat. :)

Working off the NZ Death Index information, for Gertrude Ruth BEESON died 1983 > where her date of birth is given as "30 January 1899", I've found her probable birth mother.

NZ Birth Index :

1899 / 19376 - JONAS - Gertrude Ruth
Mother :  Clara JONAS       Father :   NR   (= Name not recorded)
The date of birth for this child was .... 30 January 1899 .
Her birth was registered at Christchurch. 

[Note :   Because that entry still exists on the NZ Birth Index, suggests that a formal adoption was never made.  ]

~   Lu