Author Topic: Christopher Smith of Langtoft  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christopher Smith of Langtoft
« on: Monday 10 January 22 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Christopher Smith, born 17/12/1786, Christ. 25/12/1786 both Langtoft....was a blacksmith and a private in the 10th regiment of foot, died age 45 and was buried 6/9/1831 Langtoft.
  I believe his father was James, mother possibly Ann Brown ?, and his wife's name was Mary...no other details. I have only found evidence of one child, Alice ( shown Ellis on her marriage cert.), born April 1810.
  Can anyone please fill in any blanks for his parents, wife, and any other possible children...any dates, places etc.
  Thank you   

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Smith of Langtoft
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 February 22 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Christopher smith born 17 Dec Bapt 25th December 1786 Lanftoft. Parents James & Ann. (Labourer)
James Smith of Butterwick and Ann Brown of same, married 18 June 1782  Foxholes
Do you know where in Yorkshire Christopher married,
gogogadgetlegs (Phil)
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 22 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Have most of the siblings births and baptisms of Christopher Smith if you should need them? all taken from the EYFHS transcripted records.
Phil
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 14:30 GMT (UK) »
 Hi there Phil,
  Thanks for the response...I have most of the details you sent for Christopher Smith, I believe his 
   parents were James and Ann Brown, although I have them married at Foxholes 18/6/1777.
   This seems to fit in with Christopher being the sixth of their seven children, the first, John christened 18/7/1777, but buried only two days later. ( Also a possibility that John was named after James' father, who I think was John b. appx 1720/1725 ? )
    My sticking point was Christopher's wife, Mary, who I have nothing on at all, probably married locally but no idea where, and his mother, Ann Brown, who again I could not find anything for certain last time I went to records office at Beverley.
   It seems Christopher only had one child, slightly unusual in those days but possible, Alice , who married Charles 'Clean (Maclean)  in 1833 , these two being my great great grandparents.
  Having Smiths and Browns in the family does not make life easy when chasing old records but I carry on regardless.
   If you do discover any more please get in touch, and thanks for your trouble anyway,

Briani

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Ellis (Alice) Smith had an illegitimate son Emmanuel bp.2/1/1831 Langtoft - in 1841 he is in Langtoft with Mary Smith 70.   If this is his grandmother (and wife of Christopher) she was considerably older than her husband which could explain why only one child together.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 March 22 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,
   Thanks for the info. regarding Emmanuel Smith, not a particularly common name and not one I have come across in any branch of the family before, could it be the father's name ?? I shall have to do some more digging, but the explanation re difference in ages sounds feasible, and with a name like Smith, anything is possible.

Thanks, Brian