Author Topic: DNA shows 22% Scottish Blood  (Read 1270 times)

Offline KhStevens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA shows 22% Scottish Blood
« on: Monday 10 January 22 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Maybe it's wishful thinking to believe my Ancestry DNA Ethnicity Estimate when it says I have (up to) 22% Scottish Blood. I'm a sassenach through and through, it would seem, save for my DAVIES roots, in Wales, which I've not been able to track back from Gloucestershire in 1700. So far, all that I have traced in my direct lines could be found no further north than Lancashire.
I wonder if anyone has advice on how to track this elusive Scottish Blood? I love the Scots and would be so proud to say that I have roots in Scotland. I just don't know where to start.
Any advice would be gratefully received!
Cheers,
Karen

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: DNA shows 22% Scottish Blood
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 22 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I think it's wise not to put too much faith in the estimates. Be careful about what you read online. Some people tend to have this idea that the boundaries between England and Scotland have always been solid and that the English and Scottish are distinct genetic groups - which they are not really, the reality is far more complicated. People have always moved around the British Isles and intermixed. So just don't rely on any sources that are not nuanced.

23 and me says that I have some Scottish ancestry, but I can't find it anywhere in my records definitively. I think there are two possibilities so far. One is that one of my 'paternity events' was an unknown Scottish man. The second possibility is that because I have significant ancestry from both the Carlisle and Sunderland areas, my ancestry is background ancestry from those populations.

I think a good start would be to go back through your tree and really look at the records closely. Is it possible that you have made a mistake and missed a record, or misattributed parents or something like that. Look for original records and not transcripts to see if there is any missing data or mistranscribed data.

Another thing is to try and see if you can find evidence of a 'paternity event', outside of the obvious ones where children are born out of wedlock. I was lucky once, by looking at military records I realised that a relative of mine was illegitimate - their supposed father was abroad at the time of their conception. A professional researcher was able to confirm my findings.

That's rare though, and many of these happenings will just go unrecorded, the DNA is the only clue we have.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 22 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't get too engrossed in the ethnicity side until you've checked out your matches.

We all have paper trails but they don't pick up flings/affairs?

This is worth trying...https://www.yourdnaguide.com/leeds-method

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline KhStevens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 22 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Stanwix England, for your kind reply. I see what you mean about the boundaries. I hadn't really thought about that. And, thank you, Anne (Rosinish). I've uprooted numerous skeletons and incestuous births.

I'll just continue to plod along and be happy to know I have roots in Scotland, however deep or shallow!  ;)