Author Topic: Inspector of Cranes  (Read 6166 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inspector of Cranes
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 13:24 GMT (UK) »
One of my grandfathers was a time served engineer up in Glasgow and he became a boiler inspector for an insurance company; it was in this capacity that he travelled around the country.  If any boiler whatever job it was doing, whether being used in a factory, or to drive a train, or a tractor, or a crane, the insurance company stipulated that their boiler inspector was the first person to start up the boiler after it had been repaired.

In the early days boilers tended to explode due to a build up of steam pressure, thus rather dangerous to be near.   I've been told that there was a race for the first person to produce a fusible plug that would stop boilers exploding.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Fusible plugs are for when the water level gets to low. Most boiler explosions were due to poor maintenance or because it was too easy to set the safety valves to a higher pressure than what they had been passed for.

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 14:01 GMT (UK) »
One of my grandfathers was a time served engineer up in Glasgow and he became a boiler inspector for an insurance company; it was in this capacity that he travelled around the country.  If any boiler whatever job it was doing, whether being used in a factory, or to drive a train, or a tractor, or a crane, the insurance company stipulated that their boiler inspector was the first person to start up the boiler after it had been repaired.

In the early days boilers tended to explode due to a build up of steam pressure, thus rather dangerous to be near.   I've been told that there was a race for the first person to produce a fusible plug that would stop boilers exploding.

Interesting all the jobs there are out there! Thanks, Rena
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Fusible plugs are for when the water level gets to low. Most boiler explosions were due to poor maintenance or because it was too easy to set the safety valves to a higher pressure than what they had been passed for.

I'm only going on what my father (d1980s), a mechanical engineer, told me about his boiler inspector father who died c1927.  His father was amongst hundreds who patented their own fusible plug/fuse, but which never got bought or used.   The favoured one being manufactured by Vulcan.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke