Author Topic: Fletchers from Argyllshire  (Read 1319 times)

Offline ltfiggs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fletchers from Argyllshire
« on: Monday 10 January 22 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello~this is my first post here ~ Through dna, I learned my Fletchers were in Argyllshire, Scotland. I've been in contact with a distant cousin and found our earliest common Fletcher ancestor was a Janet Fletcher (b. 1801, Ardrishaig (?); m. Hamilton Bolton 28 Jun 1823; d. 14 Sep 1866). She was the daughter of Peter Fletcher (b.ca. 1775 or 28 Nov 1771; m. Jean McKillop/McCallum 18 Sep 1842). Peter may have been son Patrick Fletcher & Effie McVean, of Glenorchy & Inishail, Argyll. I'm trying to learn which of the Fletchers came to America and when. My Fletchers were in Gloucester, Virginia and beyond 1800 I can't prove where they were. Do any of these Fletchers sound familiar in your research? Thanks in advance!!

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fletchers from Argyllshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 22 22:28 GMT (UK) »
The Fletcher Clan were reputedly connected with Rob Roy McGregor.
There are two tartans, Fletcher and Fletcher of Dunans .
Based in Argyll ,the Cowel Penninsular and Glendaruel in particular.
Seemingly arrow makers ,well fletchers of arrows ,for clan Campbell.
The present Duke of Argyll is head of Clan Campbell.
Hope you find out more about your particular people .
Viktoria .

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 February 22 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am a Glen Orchy Fletcher. My recently deceased father was the last Fletcher ever born in Glen Orchy. He was born there in 1931.
I live in Canada but immigrated from Argyll, Scotland in early childhood. My father did a lot of research on his Fletchers and I try to carry that on. They were a small clan and moved all over Argyll to places that were known to be good grazing as the Fletchers were cattle drovers, breeders and traders. Waves of them went to America as well in the years around the American Revolution. I have personally met some Fletchers whose ancestors left America after the AR and came to Canada as Loyalists.
The names you mentioned aren't immediately familiar to me but maybe we can figure it out.

Mary Fletcher Harris
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 February 22 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Many Highlanders were evicted from their ancestral homes in the cruel cruelHighland Clearances ,to make way for sheep as wool was with a great deal of money.

I have not done any real research because it would be way back as my husband’s immediate ancestors were from Manchester .
Where we formerly lived.Thanks for your reply and good luck with your research.Viktoria.

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 February 22 17:26 GMT (UK) »
The Clearances were a mixed bag. Certainly, many heartless landowners did clear the people from the land by force. It's well documented. In other cases, benevolent landlords paid the passage of their tenants so they could immigrate. Many were almost starving in overcrowded communities. Some folks begged to be moved elsewhere. Not a great time, I'm sure. :(
I don't think the Fletchers of Glen Orchy were cleared from the land. Not exactly anyway, although there is a legend about a Fletcher being tricked out of his land.
The Fletchers settled in Glen Orchy on land surrounding the now ruined Achallader Castle. Where did they come from? Likely Ireland maybe 1,000 years ago, maybe less. They basically squatted on traditionally Campbell land and created a cattle industry for themselves in a very barren place. They did business with their neighbours, the McGregors (my mother was a McGregor), McDonalds etc. and drove cattle to green islands (Mull, Islay etc.) and to market in Perth or Crieff. They are often to be found at ferry points too. In all, the small clan supported itself quite well over the centuries.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 February 22 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if they ever were Fletchers, that is fletching ,putting the flight or feathers at the end if arrows to give them better trajectory and in bolt arrows spin so deeper penetration.
Thanks for the info.
Viktoria.

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 February 22 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Could be but the Fletcher name may or may not be associated with that craft. These Fletchers of Glen Orchy are not from the same roots as English Fletchers like the ones prevalent around Yorkshire. In fact they aren't Fletchers at all really. The name was anglicized from the original Gaelic name of Mcinleister in the 1700s or thereabouts.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 February 22 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Is there an occupation for the name McInleister ?
Viktoria.

Offline ltfiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary, it's Lana!! From the documented ancient history of Scotland Fletchers I've read, it was the Campbells who tricked the Fletchers out of their Achallander Castle which is when they built the Dunans (or I may have that backwards). I've not gotten far enough back on these Fletchers to know which group they're from. Time to research!! Victoria, these ancient Fletchers were definitely arrow makers and Fletcher IS the occupational name. McInLeister was their clan/family name. I did recently find (while researching Lewis Fletcher/Gloucester, VA) a book entitled "Genealogy of the Descendants of John Walker of Wigton, Scotland [w/records of some allied families]" but it hasn't yet provided any significant new info on my Fletchers, but I'm not yet done going through it (886 pp.).