Author Topic: I'm confused by my Y-DNA...q  (Read 1415 times)

Offline dicko99

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm confused by my Y-DNA...q
« on: Tuesday 11 January 22 00:04 GMT (UK) »
A few months ago I did a Y-111 test on FTDNA which placed me in the group R-M269.

Just recently I did a test on 23andMe and they put me in R-CTS11824.

I realise that R-CTS11824 is a subgroup under R-M269 but I would have expected the FTDNA result to be more accurate seeing as it is an explicit Y test and more expensive.

Can someone please explain what's going on?

R.
Pratt, Smith, Jay, Wyatt - Essex
Dickens, Betteridge - London, Oxfordshire
Perrins, Bourne, Hickman, Fletcher - Aylesbury, Stoke upon Trent

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: I'm confused by my Y-DNA...q
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Would it not be an idea to contact FTDNA who should be able to explain better than anyone?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 00:32 GMT (UK) »
The difference might just be down to how the companies categorise the results.

There are all sorts of projects to join on FTDNA. I’m sure one of those will be able to help you.

Just browsing I read that R-CTS11824 was Italy 4000 years ago, so that’s useful.  ::)

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dicko99,

Well the issue is that you have taken a Y111 STR (short tandem repeats) test at FT-DNA which has given you a predicted haplogroup of R-M269. To get your haplogroup you will need to get a SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism) pack or upgrade to the Y700 test which will also test more STRs and give you your terminal SNP. https://dna-explained.com/category/big-y-700/
You could order the R1b-M343 & M269 Backbone SNP Pack from FT-DNA. However, the Y700 upgrade is probably more economical especially if you wait for a holiday sale event.

You could run your STR results through a third party haplogroup predictor tool such as NevGen Predictor tool https://nevgen.org/

As for 23andMe,  they do test a limited range of SNPs (v5 2017, about 640,000 - 650,000) across the autosomal DNA , Y-DNA and mtDNA. https://isogg.org/wiki/23andMe https://www.xcode.life/23andme/23andme-v5-chip-dna-raw-data-analysis/

Compare this with FT-DNA Y700 Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) test which scans over 14.5 million locations on the Y chromosome alone (see R_R1b ALL Subclades Project) https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b/about/background

I run two surname projects on FT-DNA and help co-administer a large project so I see this issue all the time. You are not comparing like for like.

pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline dicko99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank pughcd, that's exactly the kind of techie explanation I was hoping for.

I haven't really delved too deeply into my Y-results yet as I was a bit disappointed that the Y-111 test didn't produce a single match with the surname I was expecting!

I have toyed with the idea of upgrading but I didn't really understand the difference between the two tests. I probably will do it now although as you say, probably best to wait until there's a sale on!

Regards,
Richard.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Have you taken a family finder/autosomal dna test? They are more popular, so you might find the surname match you are hoping for.

If I understand it correctly, your YDNA matches could relate to common ancestors from thousands of years ago before surnames existed, which might explain lack of same surname matches …. also the fact that not so many people take y tests due to cost and other factors.  ;)

Have you joined FTDNA’s surname project for your surname?

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 22 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks @Dicko99,

Your experience with Y-DNA is not unusual, particularly with Surname matches. I have taken the Y700 upgrade to 111 markers and have no surname matches at either level.  I have two surname matches at 67 markers (genetic distance 7) but these do not match my recent patrilineal history. Zero matches at 37 markers.  At 25 markers I have one match and 12 markers about 1200 mainly Scandinavian and Northern European matches. My main haplogroup I-M253 which is common in Scandinavia.

As @Ruskie says you may benefit from doing an autosomal test but I can fully understand your interest in the Y-DNA test. You may find an appropriate Surname study at FT-DNA  but again this may not be helpful if your own line is not represented.

I discovered that my dad was not my biological father through autosomal DNA so Y-DNA testing took on a special significance for me. I now run my own Surname project at FT-DNA.

pughcd

Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline dicko99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: I'm confused by my Y-DNA...
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 January 22 12:26 GMT (UK) »
I have tested on Ancestry and 23&me.

It's my Dad's father that I'm trying to confirm. I have worked out a highly-likely candidate and I was hoping the Y-test would at least confirm the surname...

R.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm confused by my Y-DNA...
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 January 22 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I have tested on Ancestry and 23&me.

It's my Dad's father that I'm trying to confirm. I have worked out a highly-likely candidate and I was hoping the Y-test would at least confirm the surname...

R.

Are you in contact with the likely candidate (or a male descendant)? You could either ask them if they would be willing to take a YDnA test, however any family member could take an autosomal test which should also give you a good indication of a connection between you/your grandfather and them.