Author Topic: Caroline Bennett, Knight Bennett etc Knight Gudger  (Read 779 times)

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Bennett, Knight Bennett etc Knight Gudger
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 01:42 GMT (UK) »
There is a Knight Gudger tree on Ancestry - have you seen it?

yes  but i find a lot of trees on ancestry contain errors where people juz copy other peoples trees without checking records whereas I try and find the evidence before adding people.  Thats why Im posting here to try and work out the confusion before growing my friends tree rather than just copying what someone else has put. I did take a look and they have no records lisited for the information they have on their tree so you do have to question how they have arrived at what they have.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Knight used the surname gudger re the 1880 marriage banns. Details on Findmypast

John

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 11:24 GMT (UK) »
The fact that Knight Gudger had banns read in 1880 makes me wonder if the below birth is a possible reason for a potential marriage that did not happen.

GUDGER, HANNAH  KNIGHT    mmn TOMLINSON 
GRO Reference: 1880  M Quarter in OLDHAM  Volume 08D  Page 715

John

Added, don't think so as a Benjamin Gudger married a Mary Jane Tomlinson in 1879

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 13:34 GMT (UK) »
The fact that Knight Gudger had banns read in 1880 makes me wonder if the below birth is a possible reason for a potential marriage that did not happen.

GUDGER, HANNAH  KNIGHT    mmn TOMLINSON 
GRO Reference: 1880  M Quarter in OLDHAM  Volume 08D  Page 715

John

Added, don't think so as a Benjamin Gudger married a Mary Jane Tomlinson in 1879

Its quite confusing isnt it.  William bennett the son of caroline married Alice Fearn in 1928 and on the bans it does say that his dad is Knight Bennett Deceased.  But Caroline did not marry a Knight bennett and was unmarried.  Also her birth name was bennett.  The only link I can see to the name Knight is through Knight Grudger whom she was lodging with in 1911 who was already married.  She went onto marry legitimately and have found the records to show this.  Knight bennetts profession was down as an iron worker.

Offline MKAB90

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your efforts everyone, it's really puzzling me.

If Knight Gudger is potentially my grandads father....but who knows?

Anyone know a medium?! ;D

Kind Regards
Michael Knight Alan Bennett

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 January 22 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I’ve had this a few times with my illegitimate ancestors and their siblings. So they have their mothers surname as they were born before the mother and father married and when they themselves get married they give their fathers first name and the vicar or whoever writes down the fathers first name but the bride/grooms surname. So imagine the vicar just says to them “and your fathers name” and they say “knight” (in your case) and then assumes the person getting married has their fathers surname so they write “knight bennet”. Like I say I’ve seen this a few times. Hope this helps.
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I’ve had this a few times with my illegitimate ancestors and their siblings. So they have their mothers surname as they were born before the mother and father married and when they themselves get married they give their fathers first name and the vicar or whoever writes down the fathers first name but the bride/grooms surname. So imagine the vicar just says to them “and your fathers name” and they say “knight” (in your case) and then assumes the person getting married has their fathers surname so they write “knight bennet”. Like I say I’ve seen this a few times. Hope this helps.

This does help thank you and since then its pretty much been ascertained that indeed Knight Gudger was the father of Carolines children and it was Carolines father who was not happy that the children were born out of wedlock hence wanting Bennett down as the surname.  Talking of Caroline.......

I dont know whether to make a new post or put it here but here goes...Ive been pretty certain until now that Carolines parents are William Bennett 1842 and Jane Cooper both from Wolverhampton but am now beginning to doubt myself.  On the 1911 Census caroline says she is from Longton which is nearer to Newcastle on Lyme than Oldham or wolverhampton.  However, when William Bennett died, Jane moved to wolverhampton and all her children apart from Caroline were born in wolverhampton.  All of Carolines children were born in Oldham.  Any help is ascertaining who carolines parents were gratefully received.  Thanks