Author Topic: Who is Leonard Watterson's first wife before 1869, and his mother  (Read 670 times)

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Who is Leonard Watterson's first wife before 1869, and his mother
« on: Tuesday 11 January 22 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I have been doing extensive research on the Watterson/Waterson family. This particular marriage has puzzled me for some time. Leonard Waterson, widower, Bellagherty, marries Jane Blair, spinster, of Meghadone (which I can't find). I wonder who Leonard's first wife/wives was/were, and who was his mother (his father was Leonard also). I can't find children for this couple or anything about them after marriage. Would be grateful for any help.
I have followed another Leonard from Woods to Scotland, back to Ireland, and back to Scotland but I think this is a different Leonard than the one who married Jane Blair. First Leonard married Jane McLaren in 1830 at Woods/Jane Beattie in 1856 in Glasgow/Rachel Watterson in 1860/and although Rachel died in May 4, 1869 in Glasgow and this Leonard of Bellagherty could have remarried in Aug 1869, I don't think it is the same Leonard because Rachel's widower died in Glasgow in 1886. It doesn't fit that he whipped back to Bellagherty and married Jane Blair. I haven't found a death for Jane Blair in either Ireland or Scotland. Perhaps this Leonard emigrated to USA or elsewhere.
Thank you
Peggy
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/2d66e53065759?b=https%3A%2F%2Fcivilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie%2Fchurchrecords%2Fcivil-perform-search.jsp%3Fnamefm%3Djane%26namel%3Dblair%26location%3D%26yyfrom%3D%26yyto%3D%26type%3DM%26submit%3DSearch%26sort%3D%26pageSize%3D100%26century%3D%26decade%3D%26exact%3D%26ddBfrom%3D%26ddMfrom%3D%26ddDfrom%3D%26ddPfrom%3D%26mmBfrom%3D%26mmMfrom%3D%26mmDfrom%3D%26mmPfrom%3D%26yyBfrom%3D%26yyMfrom%3D%26yyDfrom%3D%26yyPfrom%3D%26ddBto%3D%26ddMto%3D%26ddDto%3D%26ddPto%3D%26mmBto%3D%26mmMto%3D%26mmDto%3D%26mmPto%3D%26yyBto%3D%26yyMto%3D%26yyDto%3D%26yyPto%3D%26locationB%3D%26locationM%3D%26locationD%3D%26locationP%3D%26keywordb%3D%26keywordm%3D%26keywordd%3D%26keywordp%3D%26event%3D%26district%3D
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Leonard Watterson's first wife before 1869, and his mother
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey for Maghadone. Must be correct place.
Thank you riannisuileabhain - that is the correct marriage of Leonard and Rachel nee Watterson formerly Martin. When this same Leonard married Jane Beattie in 1856 is Scotland, he said his parents were Leonard Watterson and Mary Evans, both deceased. this  Leonard did have a habit of remarrying within a couple months, but still thinking they are not the same man but don't know for sure at this point.
I will endeavour to use shorter links, Kiltaglassan.
Peggy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 21:11 GMT (UK) »
yes - certainly strange if they are all the same leonard that he remarried so often. Its clear that not all of his wives are passing away within the first few years of marraige so id presume they are seperating. maybe you could search for illegitimate children registered with the mothers' maiden name within the timeframe?

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 21:53 GMT (UK) »
No, I think all the wives mentioned died, although I believe that Leonard did have one child out of wedlock in May 1860 in Glasgow - named George.
I found Leonard's marriage to Jane McLaren at Woods in 1830 and the birth of a daughter Mary abt 1830 who is not on the 1841 Scottish census. In 1841, we have John born Ireland and David, James and William born Scotland. I don't find John or David's births, but at death, they give their parents as Leonard Watterson and Jane McLaren. James' death is a mystery but he may have died at sea near Montreal so didn't find parents' names. William is not on the 1851 census but John, David and James are. Jane McLaren dies Feb 29, 1856, and Leonard remarried July 21, 1856 to Jane Beattie who dies Sept 19, 1859 after having sons William and Joseph, and Leonard remarried to Rachel Watterson Nov 3, 1860, and on the 1861 census, we have Leonard and Rachel with sons Leonard age 8 and William age 3 so son Leonard must belong to Jane McLaren whereas William belongs to Jane Beattie. I don't know what became of 10 day old Joseph when Jane Beattie died. Rachel had Mary Ann in 1861 and Richard in 1863 before dying May 4, 1869.
Then did Leonard go back to Ireland and marry Jane Blair in August 1869 ??. I don't find Leonard in Scotland in 1871 or 1881 but he is with his son Richard when Richard died in 1878 in Glasgow. I don't know what became of Mary Ann born 1861. So there is room for Leonard to have married Jane Blair but what then became of Jane Blair?
John is on the 1881 Glasgow census with brothers Leonard and William tying the brothers together.
It is strange that when Leonard died in 1886 at the same address as son John lived at in 1881, and John is the informant, John names Leonard wives as firstly Mary Rae, secondly Rachel  Watterson, and thirdly Jane Robinson- What about his own mother??? I can't find Mary Rae and Jane Robinson in connection with Leonard at any time, unless they were "common law" marriages.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 22:18 GMT (UK) »
maybe you could try look for leonards brothers/relatives or more so any of the wives relatives, some of the children could be living with them at the time. id also try to find richard in the 1871 census but i assume youve already done that. perhaps the Jane Robinson John gives as his wife is Jane McClaren? she may have been widowed at the time (or maybe Jane Beattie.) Or perhaps his son just remembered wrong. The info on a death cert is only as good as the person registering it.

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 March 22 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is helpful as I'm just sitting here looking at Leonard and Jane Blair as well.

My ancestor Elizabeth b1801 who marries Wheelwright Clements is also at Bellagherty. I also have several DNA links through a Leonard Watterson (?well used family name perhaps) b1812 at Linsamorrow. Bellagherty is a small area (I've been lucky enough to visit) so I would imagine my Elizabeth and Leonard who marries Jane Blair might well be related somewhere.

I was speculating that Rachel Martin may be the previous wife to Jane Blair. If these were later marriages could his first have been to Eliza Martin in Linsamorrow? I have seen instances before where widowers have married their wives sisters (if Eliza and Jane do happen to be sisters) and DNA is placing a link between the Bellagherty Wattersons and the ones at Linsamorrow.

Just some ponderings.

Donna