Author Topic: Frederick Arthur Reeve(s)  (Read 471 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Frederick Arthur Reeve(s)
« on: Thursday 13 January 22 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I would welcome some clarification as to what is going on with this gentleman.

Frederick Arthur Reeve(s) born Sawbridgeworth, Herts 1896 buried Sawbridgeworth March 21st 1927 - I am awaiting death certificate.
He served as a private in 3/Herts Reg 5574, 1 Herts 266929 and 13 West Riding 238159

Awarded Victory and British medal
Discharged Class Z 6/3/19 - what does Class Z mean?

He has a war pension awarded but the information I have found doesn't say what for. His mother Catherine puts in a claim as a dependant on his death. He appears on a casualty list for the 13th West Riding:
238159 Reeves Pvt F To duty 18/10/18 W - what does this mean? was he sent back to the front? if so why might he have been given a pension?

He is back home living with his parents in Sawbridgeworth in 1921 working as an agricultural labourer.

Thanks
Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Arthur Reeve(s)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 22 12:39 GMT (UK) »
   "Class Z Army Reserve. In December 1918 soldiers being demobilised were first posted to Class Z. They could return to civilian life but knew they were obliged to return if necessary. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920"

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-medal-index-cards-1914-1920/

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 22 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tony
I assume this means his disabilty was severe enough to be eligble for a pension but not so severe that he wouldn't be of use to the Army?
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I received his death certificate today which says he died of pulmonary tuberculosis 6yrs. There was no mention of war related injuries which I would have expected if his mother then went on to claim his pension. Also I cannot find a Silver war badge which I thought all those who were awarded war pensions would have received  ???

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Just looked at his medal roll he was discharged class Z not with SWB so they must have thought entitled to some pension does it say how much or for how long or was it declined?
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the clarification re the SWB.

The only records I've been able to find are various pension index cards, nothing that states why he would have been awarded a pension. There are  two reference numbers which on Catherine's claim index card are referred to as award numbers. There also dates the earliest is Mar 1922, another in 1925 which is against a correction Regs III to RII, then several in 1927 when Catherine puts in her claim. I've just noticed that on the back of of one of the 1927 dependant's claim card there is a faint stamp of cancelled.

Jan

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale