Author Topic: Need help with Pendock/Redmarley ancestor  (Read 281 times)

Offline Paul33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help with Pendock/Redmarley ancestor
« on: Thursday 13 January 22 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Been stuck on this one for about 7/8 years now so looking for a genius !

My many times great grandfather lived on Cooks Lane north of Pendock and I would love to trace who his parents were as without them, my tree is stuck.

His name was WILLIAM YOUNG and like most at the time, he was an agricultural labourer who lived with his family on tied properties, primarily on a farm at the eastern end of Cooks Lane near Ledbury Road.

His wife was SARAH DOWDING and they married at Tewkesbury, St Marys 12/11/1827. Census returns show Sarah's place of birth as Tewkesbury or Pendock c.1804.

William's place of birth on census records usually showed "Pendock" but the year of birth varies .......

1841 - Birth Year 1806
1851 - Birth Year 1803
1861 - Birth Year 1798 (possibly 10 years out for his and wife's birth year !)
1871 - Birth Year 1793
1881 - Birth Year 1803
1889 - Birth Year 1804 (Workhouse Death record)

His first child was another "William" born in May 1831.

A possible spanner in the works is that his first born William in 1831 was christened 19/06/1831 at Culvert Street Wesleyan Methodist, Newent, Glos (LDS site) which may mean he was also a Wesleyan but I have no other proven Wesleyan links with his other children. Worth pointing out that local historians tell me this chapel on Culvert Street wasn't built until 1855 which suggests that record is bogus !

I have trawled every online record I can find but with no plausible record to match my search so any help of any sort would be hugely appreciated !

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Pendock/Redmarley ancestor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 22 16:46 GMT (UK) »

A possible spanner in the works is that his first born William in 1831 was christened 19/06/1831 at Culvert Street Wesleyan Methodist, Newent, Glos (LDS site) which may mean he was also a Wesleyan but I have no other proven Wesleyan links with his other children. Worth pointing out that local historians tell me this chapel on Culvert Street wasn't built until 1855 which suggests that record is bogus !

At the time of the baptism they were of the parish of Redmarley - Sarah was the daughter of John & Jane Dowding
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Pendock/Redmarley ancestor
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 22 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie ...... I have picked Sarah's parents up previously and probably from the baptism record.

Sadly I can't pick up anything for William's parents.