Author Topic: Birth registrations in 1910  (Read 594 times)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
Birth registrations in 1910
« on: Thursday 13 January 22 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone tell me what the rules were for entering the name of the father on a child’s birth certificate in 1910 please?

Did he have to be present for his name to be entered?  Or did that just apply if the mother and father weren’t married at the time?

Many thanks.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Birth registrations in 1910
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 22 18:17 GMT (UK) »
The biological father of an illegitimate child needed to be present at the birth registration to sign the register.  If he attended - his name would be on the cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 22 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW. 

Can I safely assume that if a child was given her father’s surname, her mother, who registered the birth, also had that same surname, and the father was named on the certificate, that the couple were indeed married?

I’m just struggling to find a marriage for them.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 22 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW. 

Can I safely assume that if a child was given her father’s surname, her mother, who registered the birth, also had that same surname, and the father was named on the certificate, that the couple were indeed married?

I’m just struggling to find a marriage for them.

Do you wish to give us some names so we can try and find a marriage.

John

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 22 19:26 GMT (UK) »

In a word - No.
Registration was informant-driven, and checks were not made.  If mother told the registrar that she was Mrs Surname and that father was Mr Surname and that they were married, that would have been accepted without proof.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 22 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Where are the mother & child in 1911?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 22 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your help, much appreciated  :)

I’m beginning to suspect they weren’t married, but I’ll continue searching for the time being and see what I can find myself - however, I might be back sometime fairly soon to take you up on your very kind offers!

Thank you again and watch this space  ;D