Author Topic: 1921 missing person  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1921 missing person
« on: Friday 14 January 22 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for my partners grand mother in the 1921 census and she is not there.  Alice Elizabeth Sands Thorpe was born in Nottingham 1898 her mother was Kate Thorpe, she was illegitimate.  She was brought up by her grandfather George William Thorpe.  In 1921 she married Percy Frederick May.  She was living at 85 Southwold Mansions, Wildley Road Paddington. 
I thought I would try looking at that address on the 1921 census, living at that address is a Percy Wilfred Brown (School teacher) aged 35 and a Betsy Brown formally Slack, wife, aged 22.  There is also a daughter Joan Veronica Brown aged 11 born Isleworth Middlesex.  Now Joan cannot be Betsy's daughter and Percy was not married before as far as I can tell.  I have searched for Joan but there is no one of that name anywhere.
My partners father was always talking about a Mrs Brown who would visit his mother Alice, and Betsy was also born in Nottingham and they were a similar age. 
How feasible is it that Alice is in fact Joan Veronica Brown?  It just seems too much of a coincidence that I cannot find Alice in the 1921 census and yet she states when she marries in 1921 that she was living in the same address as the Browns.  Any suggestions please.   
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 missing person
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 22 22:29 GMT (UK) »
The marriage wasn't until Dec qtr 1921

If she married Percy Frederick May - why are you referring to Percy Wilfred Brown not being previously married?

How can Alice Elizabeth Sands Thorpe born 1898 be Joan Veronica Brown born 1910??
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 22 22:37 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother came from Bairnsdale, country Victoria in Australia to live and work in Melbourne.   In 1915 She was married from the address she was boarding at in Melbourne.  It was distant family.  Perhaps you have a similar situation here.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 22 22:43 GMT (UK) »
The marriage wasn't until Dec qtr 1921

If she married Percy Frederick May - why are you referring to Percy Wilfred Brown not being previously married?

How can Alice Elizabeth Sands Thorpe born 1898 be Joan Veronica Brown born 1910??

Percy Wilfred Brown could have been married previously and had a daughter Joan Veronica. 

I am not saying Alice is Joan just that they made up a name for the census. 
I am not saying I am right just that it seems a coincidence that I cannot find a Joan Veronica Brown anywhere on any of the ancestry sites.  And when Alice married Percy Frederick May she states she was living at 85 Southwold mansions which just happens to be where the Browns were living.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 January 22 22:47 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother came from Bairnsdale, country Victoria in Australia to live and work in Melbourne.   In 1915 She was married from the address she was boarding at in Melbourne.  It was distant family.  Perhaps you have a similar situation here.

Yes I agree it could be a distant relative but 'daughter' is stated on the census so I am assuming she means Percy Wilfred was her father and she insinuates that Betsy is the mother.  In red it states both alive. 
I am open to suggestions though and will certainly look abroad just in case.  Thanks
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 January 22 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Percy Wilfred Brown was 35 in 1921 according to your post so born about 1886 so how could he be the father of a child born in 1898 when he was only 12yrs old? 

I think you need to look at the dates again
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 January 22 22:51 GMT (UK) »
If Percy Wilfred was her father - she was only 11yrs old in 1921 so how could she have married Percy Frederick May a few months later at that age??

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 January 22 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Possible in 1921
Alicia Elizabeth Thorpe, born 1899 Nottinghamshire
Living in Willesden

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 January 22 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Now that sounds a much better bet than Joan Veronica Brown  ;D