Author Topic: Richard Stockley Abt 1774 - Baptism Record  (Read 1710 times)

Offline pegwill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Stockley Abt 1774 - Baptism Record
« on: Saturday 15 January 22 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
I wonder if you can help me please. I’m trying to trace a Richard Stockley and the names of his parents. I believe he was born/baptised in Stratton Audley around 1774. I have checked through the Parish Register and cannot see any details for him.

Things I know (or at least I think I know)

-   1841 Census Stratton Audley – lists Richard Stockley age 67, born in County ‘y’ therefore puts his DOB around 1774 and born in Oxfordshire.

-   I believe he married Mary Cripps (somebody else I cannot find any details for) in 1798 in Padbury, Buckinghamshire. This it would appear was by Licence, Mary was 24 years old at the time and the License says they were both of this Parish, taking to mean Padbury.

-   The first mention I can find with a reference to Stratton Audley is on 21st September 1800 when their son William was Baptised. It shows William’s parents as Richard and Mary Stockley. Further on 17th October 1802 it shows birth of a daughter Anne again with parents Richard and Mary Stockley, both in Stratton Audley Parish Register.

-   It appears that Richard died and was buried on 4th January 1846 in Stratton Audley aged 71.

As you can see I have quite a bit of information, however the vital link is Richard’s baptism details where it would at least confirm his father’s name.

Many thanks for looking, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

pegwill

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Stockley Abt 1774 - Baptism Record
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 January 22 14:33 GMT (UK) »
You may want to try Northamptonshire and Buckinghamshire too, as very close to Stratton Audley. Even if 1841 census indicates he was born in Oxfordshire, we know how unreliable this can be.

Otherwise the closest I can find is a baptism on 5th Feb 1772 in Adderbury. Richard the son of Richard Stockley and Pheby his wife.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pegwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 January 22 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi decor

Thanks for looking and the suggestions.
I will do some further research in those areas. it has been indicated that Richard's parents are Thomas and Elizabeth Stockley, however I can find no evidence to substantiate this yet. The Marriage record reveals that they were both of the Parish of Padbury, Buckinghamshire at that time, again how reliable that is, is something else. I have carried out some research on records for Padbury, but could not find anything, so Richard might just have been living there at the time.

Thanks again

Regards

pegwill

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 January 22 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the actual marriage licence?
I see there is only a transcription on findmypast.
Often you get two parts to these licences,  the Bond, and the Allegation. Are there two parts to the one you have found?
There can sometimes be more information on the allegation.
Is there any age given for Richard Stockly?
Who is the bondsman? What parish is he given as being from?

Just a thought.

I see in the 1841 Census, he is living with a Mansell family, although Richard Stockley is given as head of the household.
Have you found out if there is any relationship here?
Richard is an agricultural labourer, as is William Mansell.
At first sight it looks as if William's wife Margaret could be the daughter of Richard.
Have you checked this out?

I realise this is not the birth of Richard, which is what you're looking for and does not seem easily found, but every little clue you CAN find goes into making the, hopefully one day, finished puzzle.  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline pegwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 January 22 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Goldie61

Thanks for looking and your observation regarding Margaret Mansell, it was a good thought. Through the 1851 Census I managed to track Margaret as being born in Haversham, Buckinghamshire. It turns out that her maiden name was Margaret Packer DOB 1806 and she married William Mansell in 1830 in Newport Pagnell, at least that's what the records would indicate.

So unfortunately on one hand another dead end but on the other hand a line of research eliminated.

Thanks once again

pegwill

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 22 17:56 BST (UK) »
Have you considered this baptism.............? (Ancestry).

Name:- Richard Stickley
Event Type:- Baptism
Baptism Date:- 5 Feb 1772
Baptism Place:- Adderbury, Oxfordshire, England
Father:- Richard Stickley
Mother:- Fheby Stickley

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline pegwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 August 22 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi bucksboy

Thanks for the info. I will add it to my research document for further investigation. I've still got a few avenues to go down yet, like where his wife Mary Cripps was born and her baptism record, yet another mystery surrounding Richard Stockley.

Thanks once again

Regards

Pegwill