Author Topic: St Michael’s East Wickham  (Read 312 times)

Offline nellie d

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
St Michael’s East Wickham
« on: Saturday 15 January 22 19:09 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother is buried in St Michael’s church yard. The grave stones were removed in the70’s.
I can ascertain the general location of her grave from the cemetery plan.

I noticed on the aerial views that there appear to be some tombs remaining in the grave yard.
It is the one that I have ringed in yellow that I am interested in. If I can get the name on the monument it may help me place the exact location of the grave of my great grandmother and her two young children.

Obviously this request is probably a bit weird and only someone actually in East Wickham or the near vicinity will be able to help…but I thought, if I don’t ask, I will never know! 😉😄
Mayhew,Birch,Coates,Norman - Suffolk
Masters - Somerset
Richardson, Masters, Langridge, Dyer, Chambers - Sussex
Dyer, Luscombe, Hurrell - Devon
Chambers - Brecon
Lambden, Hawkins - Berkshire
Biggs, Cooper, Druce, Hedges, Haywood, Francis,Ward, Skidmore, Pinfold, Dorn, Gardener, Hopgood - Oxfordshire
Francis, Clarke - Lambeth/Surrey
Rowland, Emmett, Lockhart - Southwark/Middlesex
Simpson, Exall, Mann, Frisby,  - Kent
Ward, Teasdale, Smalwood - Yorkshire
Tomkins, Bayliss - Warwickshire

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Michael’s East Wickham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 January 22 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Findagrave?

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2169538/st.-michael%E2%80%99s-churchyard

and here's a link to the grave register (seem to be only 1900s) which includes a plan.

https://www.stmichaelew.co.uk/cemeteryrecords.htm
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nellie d

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 22 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello bearkat

I have the plan and map from the link you mentioned. That’s how I know where she is. I have tried measuring the map and the aerial view to see if I can work out where the grave is…I thought if I knew the name on that remaining tomb, it might help me locate the grave better.
She is here…

Masters - Somerset
Chambers - Brecon
Biggs, Cooper, Druce, Hedges, Haywood, Francis,Ward, Skidmore, Pinfold, Dorn, Gardener, Hopgood - Oxfordshire

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 22 19:43 GMT (UK) »
If you enlarge the original it looks like grave number 824 (if I'm looking at the correct one) then look at the list of graves and search using Ctrl+F and you get the name Simpson.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nellie d

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 22 20:05 GMT (UK) »
That’s right…Sarah Simpson.
I have  deduced from the Find a Grave site that the grave that I circled is most likely that of the Hamer family…number 645. As I mentioned before, all the headstones were removed in the 70’s and there are only a few left standing…the shape of the grave in the aeriel photo is similar to that shown on the Find a Grave site too. So if my guesswork is correct, Sarah is 3 plots nearer the church in the same vertical row.
The lengths we go to to find things out…thanks for your help again.
I think I am going to join the North West Kent Family History Society. Clearly the info available on Ancestry is pretty limited. I haven’t  done a lot of genealogy for ages and I am a bit rusty with regard to finding sources online. But searching for Elizabeth Denton, as was Jenkins…as was…well….I feel galvanised into getting obsessed with itall again! 😂
Masters - Somerset
Chambers - Brecon