Author Topic: What happened to the Lawless brothers?  (Read 583 times)

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to the Lawless brothers?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Peter, his workhouse records say "to Long Grove asylum" which is in Epsom. There's a death in the district in Q3 1931 of someone born c1880. Similarly there's someone in that asylum in 1911 indexed as PL - place of birth looks like Redpath

Have found this Peter's  Lunacy Act papers from 1908 - it notes that he fancies people are putting poison in his food

Thats incredibly interesting - thank you! Where did you find the Lunacy Act papers? Are they on Ancestry?

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is John in the 1901 census?  Two are listed with this name.  One age 7 and the other age 5.

Residing at Low Leyton, West Ham, London & Essex

Both listed as orphan and both have birth place as Mile End.  Same one listed twice with one having an incorrect age?

Registration district West Ham
Archive reference RG13
Piece number 1622
Folio 96

The only birth registered in the London area is:-

LAWLESS, JOHN       ELLIS 
GRO Reference: 1895  M Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 546

These are births listed between 1894 and 1896.  All the others are in the North and one in Wales.

Thank you so much for your help - I definitely think that census is him. On Ancestry, the surname on the census is mistranscribed as 'Loveless' (but definitely is actually 'Lawless'), which is why I missed it.

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 17:23 GMT (UK) »

Info only.
Between 1894-1897 the is only 1 John Lawless born in the south of England as already posted.

A John Lawless (1895) appears on the new 1921 census in Mile End Old Town. There would appear to be 9 other Lawless surnamed individuals in this house. Also on the 1939 war register in Tottenham is a  John Lawless-ships steward. He goes on to marry a Eveline Havey in 1954. He died 1970 Haringey with a dob 12.7.1896. This is the same day and month as the 1939 register but one year different. Wondering if John ever really knew his exact dob?

John

Yes, I saw that John, but the conflicting birthdates are frustrating (you raise a good point about him potentially not knowing). There are about 3 records for men called John Lawless that have birthdays that could be accurate, but I can't tell which one is correct (if any). I think I would have to order his birth certificate, but I can't afford to be doing that, especially for such a distant ancestor.

Thank you for your help!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Peter, his workhouse records say "to Long Grove asylum" which is in Epsom. There's a death in the district in Q3 1931 of someone born c1880. Similarly there's someone in that asylum in 1911 indexed as PL - place of birth looks like Redpath

Have found this Peter's  Lunacy Act papers from 1908 - it notes that he fancies people are putting poison in his food

Thats incredibly interesting - thank you! Where did you find the Lunacy Act papers? Are they on Ancestry?

Yes - but not indexed/searchable so you have to know where to find them and have a good browse. They're a bit haphazard in arrangement and of course I can't find it again! I'll have a dig around