Author Topic: Alexander Mckenzie age mystery  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mckenzie age mystery
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 19:31 BST (UK) »
The parish had difficulty in finding and keeping a vicar and apparently one vicar had taken the marriage book with him when he left.
They did not look for a vicar. The term 'vicar' does not exist in Presbyterian churches. It's a term peculiar to the Church of England and possibly other churches of the worldwide Anglican communion, though not as far as I know the Scottish Episcopal Church.

The clergyman of a Presbyterian church in Scotland is referred to as the Minister, except when he is presiding over a meeting of a Kirk Session, Presbytery, Synod or General Assembly, in which case he is referred to as the Moderator.

The Moderator of the General Assembly retains the designation at all times during his period in office, even while not actually presiding over a meeting.

Glad you stopped by to correct my posting Forfarian - the memory cell that held the correct information evaded me and I just couldn't recall the word needed.   

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 20:37 BST (UK) »
Aye, it's all pretty arcane, this stuff about the different sorts of clergy.

But I've just been reading a novel set in the 19th century in the most sternly Presbyterian part of the Western Isles that goes on about the vicar wearing a surplus (I kid you not! That's how it's spelled in this novel) and doing his 'daily offices' and going to Edinburgh to hand his resignation in to his bishop. None of which feature in Presbyterian denominations. In fact it's so bad I'll probably read it again to see what other solecisms, anachronisms and good old fashioned errors of fact I can find in it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 22:40 BST (UK) »
Aye, it's all pretty arcane, this stuff about the different sorts of clergy.

But I've just been reading a novel set in the 19th century in the most sternly Presbyterian part of the Western Isles that goes on about the vicar wearing a surplus (I kid you not! That's how it's spelled in this novel) and doing his 'daily offices' and going to Edinburgh to hand his resignation in to his bishop. None of which feature in Presbyterian denominations. In fact it's so bad I'll probably read it again to see what other solecisms, anachronisms and good old fashioned errors fact I can find in it.

.......... and how often do you audibly correct stuff you hear on TV when the Continuity Girl has obviously been asleep on the job  ?    ;D ;D ;D

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 23:05 BST (UK) »
Never - but that's probably because I never watch TV. ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.