Author Topic: James Wilkinson b Belfast 1835-37 d Auckland 1912  (Read 4334 times)

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilkinson b Belfast 1835-37 d Auckland 1912
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 05:52 GMT (UK) »
R Wilks

Adding the following in case it is of interest to you ?

In the 1934 Will of Mary WILKINSON (aka Mary Catherine), her son Guilbert Roland WILKINSON is named as an Executor.

Guilbert Roland was the son formerly known as "Robert WILKINSON"
(NZBDM online has Birth -- 1906 - WILKINSON - Robert - Parents:  Minnie* and William WILKINSON).
This link  > records that he changed his name by Deed Poll in 1934 from Robert WILKINSON
https://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=25672035

Death
1983 / 38739 - WILKINSON - Guilbert Roland - date of birth =  7 December 1905
[Cremated 10 September 1983 - Bay of Plenty Crematorium, Tauranga. ]

[* Minnie ... seems that all the births registered to this couple used the name "Minnie" rather than Mary or Mary Catherine.     ]

~  Lu

Thankyou, Guilbert Roland is my great uncle. He was a dentist

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 05:59 GMT (UK) »
R Wilks

Adding the following in case it is of interest to you ?

In the 1934 Will of Mary WILKINSON (aka Mary Catherine), her son Guilbert Roland WILKINSON is named as an Executor.

Guilbert Roland was the son formerly known as "Robert WILKINSON"
(NZBDM online has Birth -- 1906 - WILKINSON - Robert - Parents:  Minnie* and William WILKINSON).
This link  > records that he changed his name by Deed Poll in 1934 from Robert WILKINSON
https://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=25672035

Death
1983 / 38739 - WILKINSON - Guilbert Roland - date of birth =  7 December 1905
[Cremated 10 September 1983 - Bay of Plenty Crematorium, Tauranga. ]

[* Minnie ... seems that all the births registered to this couple used the name "Minnie" rather than Mary or Mary Catherine.     ]

~  Lu

Thankyou, that is a fact I did not know.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Link to NZBDM online - Information collected for Death records
https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/dataCollected/death

>  there is no guarantee of course that all information collected will be correct - and some of the questions asked, may not have been able to be answered.
But, in the case of this family (WILKINSON) where a grandson Thomas is reported as having said there was "family information ... and a family bible" to be consulted, I would think it may be worthwhile getting the death record for James.

Be sure though if you do, to order the printout version of the death record (rather than a certificate).  This will give you the maximum amount of information available.

See above reply    ^ ^ ^
No, I don't have a coy of his death record. What information does it have on it? We already know the name of his father.

~  Lu

Added:    Here is the link to NZ BDM ... where you can find information on all things B, D, and M.
https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 08:00 GMT (UK) »

I do not know when exactly he arrived in NZ,

....   however I have his oldest son Robert James Wilkinson   (1862–1938) as born: 17 Jan 1862 • Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland
and his next son:

Richard Wilkinson (1865–1948)                  - added:   born 15 July 1865
b 1865 • Auckland, New Zealand [NZ BDM]

Hi

I have now been able to find the journey to New Zealand for the WILKINSON family.   Details to follow.

Besides James, Elizabeth and Robert, there was also a daughter named Mary. :)
Maybe you could search the records where you found the birth of Robert James (1862) to see if Mary might also be there (- unfortunately the ages of the family were not with the shipping information, so Mary may be older or younger than her brother.) 

Richard WILKINSON - born New Zealand - has a birthdate of 15 July 1865  (1865/26825).
[ The date of birth is able to be deduced from the online birth record.    ]

~  Lu                                                              see next     > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 09:03 GMT (UK) »
The WILKINSON family of Mr. J. / Elizabeth / Robert and Mary, arrived in Auckland on 5 May 1864 by the vessel "GOLCONDA".

There doesn't appear to be an actual passenger list available as all references I've been able to locate, have been extracted from newspapers.    In some, the family were listed as "WILLIAMSON -  J. / Elizabeth, Robert and Mary" - in others simply as Mr and Mrs WILKINSON and 2 children.   But by amalgamating all this information, we can arrive at "WILKINSON, Mr J. / Elizabeth (Mrs) and children,  Robert and Mary".

I'll give you links to several of the listings, as the newspapers tend to give varying accounts (including details of the actual voyage).    You may need to scroll through the whole column as some of the information is not always highlighted in yellow.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/DSC18640531.2.36.2
...   Steerage passengers - Mr and Mrs Wilkinson and 2 children

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZ18640507.2.11
   ... "Williamson"  J. / Elizabeth, Robert and Mary, on this passenger list.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH18640506.2.3
 ... Mr and Mrs WILKINSON and 2 children

There were only about 26-27 passengers on the "Golconda" and all were reported as being well on arrival.   2 births aboard (mothers named), no deaths. 
[  I haven't been able to find Mary WILKINSON as yet in NZ.   There was a death for a Mary in 1864 with no recorded age, but the date of death was well before the Golconda's arrival in NZ. ]

~  Lu

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Great work Lu.

For the record, if you are interested, there is a good local authority map of central Auckland properties from 1908, that can be found here:-

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/CityArchives/1908Map/search1908map.htm

A larger higher resolution copy, can be obtained by clicking on to the blue link centre bottom of the page.

Unfortunately PARTINGTON'S MILL is not one of the blue thumb pinned properties that have more details embedded.

Even on the low resolution copy, the mill occupies the small circle in the center of the block created by the roads, in the right centre of the image, with Mill Lane approaching it from the left on MAP H12.

Plus Upper Pit Street OR FRANCE STREET on MAP H11

Alan.

PS 2nd attempt at providing a link. May have to map search for "Mill" or "Partington" for access to the correct map segment.

PPS Zoom in clips attached, as navigating the site can be a challenge.

And another 20/1/2022.  Mary WILKINSON - Widow, 1915 Discharge of mortgage deed covering the title mentioned in the above illustrastion at Upper Pitt street.

www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=25069930

I could photograph this deed entry on a future visit to the holding archive, but have no idea when that might be. PM contact if interested.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 14:12 GMT (UK) »
The WILKINSON family of Mr. J. / Elizabeth / Robert and Mary, arrived in Auckland on 5 May 1864 by the vessel "GOLCONDA".

There doesn't appear to be an actual passenger list available as all references I've been able to locate, have been extracted from newspapers.    In some, the family were listed as "WILLIAMSON -  J. / Elizabeth, Robert and Mary" - in others simply as Mr and Mrs WILKINSON and 2 children.   But by amalgamating all this information, we can arrive at "WILKINSON, Mr J. / Elizabeth (Mrs) and children,  Robert and Mary".

I'll give you links to several of the listings, as the newspapers tend to give varying accounts (including details of the actual voyage).    You may need to scroll through the whole column as some of the information is not always highlighted in yellow.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/DSC18640531.2.36.2
...   Steerage passengers - Mr and Mrs Wilkinson and 2 children

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZ18640507.2.11
   ... "Williamson"  J. / Elizabeth, Robert and Mary, on this passenger list.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH18640506.2.3
 ... Mr and Mrs WILKINSON and 2 children

There were only about 26-27 passengers on the "Golconda" and all were reported as being well on arrival.   2 births aboard (mothers named), no deaths. 
[  I haven't been able to find Mary WILKINSON as yet in NZ.   There was a death for a Mary in 1864 with no recorded age, but the date of death was well before the Golconda's arrival in NZ. ]

~  Lu

wow! great detective work LU. I'm a bit overwhelmed by everything. Thankyou very much once again. I'll certainly look into the ship's arrival. There should be a passenger list somewhere, i hope.

Can't find Mary's birth in Ireland. I'm pretty sure I copied Robert's birth from another tree on ancestry many many years ago now, which is why i had the death date wrong as I took a wrong ancestry hint.

I don't think the family bible you mentioned would be in existence any more, as it would have been  a family heirloom and not given to a library. Or do you think there is somewhere it might be?

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan.

Gosh .. those maps are wonderful, aren't they !    :)

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks R Wilks.

Yes, just take your time with processing all this information ... it is indeed a bit overwhelming when it gets "dumped" into a thread like this.   ;D

"Golconda" (1864) ... unlikely that a passenger manifest is available for that particular voyage.  Many people have worked in years past to compile these passenger/shipping lists - I'm sure it would have been found by now if it existed.   

WILKINSON family Bible :   I merely mentioned this - not because I thought it was still in existence - but because the comments/references made in 1941 by grandson Thomas WILKINSON, hinted that this family knew something of their ancestors (and had resources to draw upon).

~  Lu